Contractor work for a photonics startup: Salary?

In summary, the company is small, they only do contract work, the position is good for someone with experience in photonics, and the wage is based on experience and specialty knowledge.
jlmeo
Hi Folks,

I am defending my doctorate in physics this June and was offered, very informally, a position at a photonics startup. The company is very small so only does contract work (read: no benefits). They asked me what I wanted for compensation and I have no idea what ask for or what the terms of the contract should be. Google so far is unhelpful. Anyone have any experience with this kind of work? What is a reasonable wage to ask for? What are normal terms?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
jlmeo said:
Hi Folks,

I am defending my doctorate in physics this June and was offered, very informally, a position at a photonics startup. The company is very small so only does contract work (read: no benefits). They asked me what I wanted for compensation and I have no idea what ask for or what the terms of the contract should be. Google so far is unhelpful. Anyone have any experience with this kind of work? What is a reasonable wage to ask for? What are normal terms?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about the company? What does it mean to be a startup, and only do contracting work? Do you mean they are a professional consulting/contracting company, and they are new? What kind of clients would you be working for in the end?

What level of experience do you have in the photonics field? Do you know what kind of a contract position would fit your background well? Or would you me doing more general physics consulting work, and not necessarily in your specialty?

If you have specialty knowledge and experience that fits well with what the client needs, then I'd guess that the cost to the client could be in the $100/hour range. If you would be doing more general physics consulting work, then I'd guess the cost to the customer should be more like half that.

Disclaimer -- I'm not directly involved in physics work or physics consultants. I'm basing my estimates on what our company pays for specialty consultants (in engineering), and what I used to charge back when I was actively consulting.

Hi Berkeman,

Thank you for your reply. The company is about 5 years old, and is very small. They only hire people via contract work to avoid having to give people benefits.The company both produces a product used by anyone who does anything with photonics, including NIST. They also provide consulting services to larger companies. This position is a good fit for me as I worked extensively with their product (not their actual product, but a similar product made by someone else) in my graduate lab. They want to conduct a series of experiments and write up some software to analyzing the results of these experiments. They also want me to setup a clean room and do some clean room work for them, which I also am experienced in doing.

I am not looking at this offer as a permanent position. I am trying to switch fields to academic advising or project management. But this is the only offer on the table so I figured I better take to avoid having to be a nanny.

1. What is the average salary for a contractor working for a photonics startup?

The average salary for a contractor working for a photonics startup can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and the specific role the contractor is hired for. However, on average, contractors can expect to make anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 per year.

2. What factors can affect a contractor's salary at a photonics startup?

As mentioned before, factors such as experience, location, and role can impact a contractor's salary at a photonics startup. Additionally, the size and success of the startup, as well as the contractor's negotiation skills, can also play a role in determining their salary.

3. Are contractors typically paid hourly or on a project basis at a photonics startup?

This can vary depending on the specific startup and contract agreement. Some contractors may be paid an hourly rate, while others may be paid a flat fee for the entire project. It is important for contractors to clarify this with the startup before beginning work to avoid any misunderstandings.

4. Do contractors working for a photonics startup receive any additional benefits?

Typically, contractors do not receive benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, or paid time off. However, they may negotiate for these benefits or a higher salary to compensate for the lack of benefits.

5. Is it common for contractors to be hired for long-term positions at photonics startups?

While some startups may hire contractors for long-term positions, it is more common for contractors to be hired for short-term projects. This allows startups to save on costs and have flexibility in their workforce. However, if a contractor proves to be valuable and a good fit for the company, they may be offered a permanent position.