Are These Properties of Zero Correct?

In summary, the conversation discussed various properties of zero, such as x + 0 = x, x - 0 = x, x(0) = 0, and x^0 = 1. It was also mentioned that the square root of 0 is 0. The topic of division by zero was brought up, with the conclusion that it is not possible with real numbers. The conversation also touched on the lack of clear explanations in the OP's class.
bballwaterboy
x + 0 = x
x - 0 = x

x(0) = 0
x(0) = undefined ...is this how you call it or is it no solution?

x^0 = ? What is x raised to the zero power?
square root of 0 = ? Not sure about this one either.

If anyone knows of any other properties of zero I'm leaving out, please feel free to post them. It's been over a year since I last did this stuff and have to know it all for my class. I'm already a bit behind, so having to spend my own personal time catching up with the basics. Thanks for your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bballwaterboy said:
x + 0 = x
x - 0 = x
Yes, the first is pretty much the definition of "zero" and the second follows from the first.

x(0) = 0
If you mean "x times 0", yes, that is true. It can be show by considering that since a+ 0= 0 (above) the b(a+ 0)= ba+ b0= ba

x(0) = undefined ...is this how you call it or is it no solution?
? This is the same as above! Did you mean "x/0"? If x itself is non-zero, then, yes, it is "undefined". I would not say "no solution" because I see no problem to be solved.

Note that I said "if x itself is non-zero". If x= 0, we say that "0/0" is "undetermined". We still "can't divide by 0" but the difference is that saying that a/0= b is the same as saying that a= b0= 0. If a is not 0 that is not true for any b. If a= 0 then it is true for all b. In either case, we cannot determine a specific value for b but the reason is different.

x^0 = ? What is x raised to the zero power?
If x is not 0, then x^0= 1. For positive integer m and n, it is easy to show that x^(m+ n)= x^m x^n. If we want to extend that to 0, we must have x^(m+0)= x^m= x^mx^0 so must have x^0= 1. If x= 0, so we have 0^0, that is, again, "undefined". We have two basic rules: x^0= 1 for x non-zero and 0^x= 0 for x non-zero. At x= 0 those two cannot be reconciled.

square root of 0 = ? Not sure about this one either.
Nothing special about that. The square root of 0 is 0 because 0^2= 0(0)= 0.

If anyone knows of any other properties of zero I'm leaving out, please feel free to post them. It's been over a year since I last did this stuff and have to know it all for my class. I'm already a bit behind, so having to spend my own personal time catching up with the basics. Thanks for your help.

HallsofIvy said:
? This is the same as above! Did you mean "x/0"? If x itself is non-zero, then, yes, it is "undefined". I would not say "no solution" because I see no problem to be solved.

Ooops! Yes! That was supposed to be x divided by 0. Must have been a typo slip. Thanks!

But wait. Quick question. You say it could be solved? How's that? How do you divide by zero?

HallsofIvy said:
If x is not 0, then x^0= 1. For positive integer m and n, it is easy to show that x^(m+ n)= x^m x^n. If we want to extend that to 0, we must have x^(m+0)= x^m= x^mx^0 so must have x^0= 1. If x= 0, so we have 0^0, that is, again, "undefined". We have two basic rules: x^0= 1 for x non-zero and 0^x= 0 for x non-zero. At x= 0 those two cannot be reconciled.

Nothing special about that. The square root of 0 is 0 because 0^2= 0(0)= 0.

Hey, you're pretty good with this stuff. Are you an Ivy-leaguer by chance?

re: sq. rt. of 0. That makes sense!

re: x^0. I'm going to have to reread that slowly sometime, because it's a little over my head right now. Thanks so much though! Very helpful. I love explanations too. That's actually what I feel is lacking so much in my class sometimes. So thanks!

bballwaterboy said:
Hey, you're pretty good with this stuff. Are you an Ivy-leaguer by chance?

This stuff used to be taught in arithmetic class, and you didn't need a fancy college education to understand it.

In a sense, division by zero is possible in some situations, like when doing a quotient of a vector space by a zero subspace.

WWGD said:
In a sense, division by zero is possible in some situations, like when doing a quotient of a vector space by a zero subspace.
The OP was talking about division with real numbers. Quotient spaces really have nothing to do with division in the sense intended here.

Last edited:
bballwaterboy said:
Ooops! Yes! That was supposed to be x divided by 0. Must have been a typo slip. Thanks!

But wait. Quick question. You say it could be solved? How's that? How do you divide by zero?
I did NOT say it could be solved. I said that you had not posted a problem to be solved!

SteamKing said:
This stuff used to be taught in arithmetic class, and you didn't need a fancy college education to understand it.

I think maybe OP was referring to the fact that "HallsofIvy" might be referring to the halls of an ivy league university?

Mark44 said:
The OP was talking about division with real numbers. Quotient spaces really have nothing to do with division in the sense intended here.

I know; please note the qualifying statements " In a sense" , and where I make specific references to quotient spaces. I am just trying to provide a broader view the Op may not be aware of. I would be glad if others did the same for me in areas I am not familiar with.

Matterwave said:
I think maybe OP was referring to the fact that "HallsofIvy" might be referring to the halls of an ivy league university?
Actually, no. There used to be a radio program, about a college professor called "halls of ivy" and my father put a sign outside our house saying "halls of ivy"- it was a play on his name.

No, I did NOT go to a "fancy" ivy league college, I went to M.I.T. where, as SteamKing points out, I was taught arithmetic.

What is the definition of zero?

The number zero is a mathematical concept that represents the absence of quantity or value. It is neither positive nor negative and is typically used as a placeholder in numerical systems.

Is zero an even or odd number?

Zero is considered an even number because it can be divided by two without leaving a remainder. It is also the only number that is both even and neither positive or negative.

Can zero be divided by any number?

No, zero cannot be divided by any number. Dividing by zero is undefined and results in an error. This is because division is the inverse operation of multiplication, and there is no number that, when multiplied by zero, equals a non-zero number.

What is the difference between zero and null?

In mathematics, zero is a specific numerical value, while null refers to the absence of any value. In some contexts, they may be used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in different fields of study.

Are there any properties unique to zero?

Yes, zero has several unique properties, including being the only number that is neither positive or negative, even or odd, and the only number that is its own additive inverse (adding a number to its inverse results in zero).