Carbon in Kg and CO2 in ppm

In summary, the total mass of carbon released from fossil fuels and deforestation from 1750 to 2000 is 4.08 x 1014 kg. This is equivalent to 0.05469% of the molecular mass of the atmosphere. Using proportions or the given mass of carbon at different concentrations of CO2, it can be calculated that 6.02 x 1014 kg of carbon has stayed in the atmosphere over the 250 years, which is approximately 0.01584 g/mol or 0.05469% of the molecular mass of the atmosphere. The conversion of CO2 ppm to atm can also be used to calculate the mass of carbon in the atmosphere at different concentrations.
Maharg

Homework Statement

The total mass of C contained in all fossil fuels burned from 1750 to 2000 is estimated
as 2.77 x 1014 kg C. The amount of C released as CO2 from agricultural expansion and
deforestation during the same period is estimated as 1.31 x 1014 kg C. The concentration
of CO2 in the atmosphere was 360 ppm in 2000, corresponding to an atmospheric pool
mass of C of 7.74 x 1014 kg C. If the concentration of CO2 in 1750 was 280 ppm,
calculate the % of C from these 2 sources that has stayed in the atmosphere over the 250
years.

Homework Equations

Shown in class how to calculate molecular mass of atmosphere, was 28.96 g/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating molecular mass of atmosphere which is 28.96 g/mol.

Took 360 ppm = 360E-6 multiplied it by 44 g/mol CO2.

I got 0.01584 g/mol then divided this by molecular mass of atmosphere so CO2 is 0.05469%. I'm stuck and don't know how to relate this percent to mass of carbon.

I have also been suggested to use it a proportion so if 7.74E14 kg relates to 360 then 280 ppm CO2 relates to 6.02E14 Kg Carbon, but this doesn't seem right to me.

I just need to understand how ppm CO2 relates to kg C I think

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ppm definition?

--
methods

Parts per million. I know how to convert CO2 ppm to atm, but not sure what to do with that number either.

You know that given mass of carbon is 360/106 of the total mass of atmosphere - that should be enough to calculate mass of atmosphere. Once you have that, you can easily calculate mass of carbon when it is 280 ppm. But in the end mass of the atmosphere will cancel out and you will be left with exactly the same number as when using proportions :smile:

--
methods

What is the relationship between carbon in kg and CO2 in ppm?

The relationship between carbon in kg and CO2 in ppm is that for every 1 kg of carbon, there will be 1000 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere.

How is carbon measured in kg?

Carbon is measured in kg by determining the mass of carbon present in a substance or object using a scale or other measuring tool.

How is CO2 measured in ppm?

CO2 is measured in ppm by taking air samples and analyzing the concentration of CO2 molecules in parts per million.

What is the significance of measuring carbon in kg?

Measuring carbon in kg is significant because it allows us to track and understand the amount of carbon present in various substances or objects, which can help us monitor carbon emissions and their impact on the environment.

How does the amount of CO2 in ppm affect the environment?

The amount of CO2 in ppm can have a significant impact on the environment, as higher concentrations of CO2 can contribute to the greenhouse effect and lead to climate change.