Exploring the Intersection of Physics and Military Weapon Development

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in defense engineering by obtaining a degree in either physics or engineering. It is mentioned that the military and defense contractors hire individuals with a variety of degrees, and a resource is provided for further consideration. The age of the individual is also briefly mentioned.
HomeRunHomer
I've always been interested in weapons such as rockets and guns, but also in physics. I want to know if I can get a degree in physics and work for the military developing new types of weapons, or if it would be better pursuing engineering rather than physics if I want to work for the military.

Physics news on Phys.org
The military and contractors hire physicists and engineers over a broad range of disciplines.

Something to consider if your interested in working in defense engineering: http://smart.asee.org/

Also, do you mind me asking how old you are?

HomeRunHomer said:
I've always been interested in weapons such as rockets and guns, but also in physics. I want to know if I can get a degree in physics and work for the military developing new types of weapons, or if it would be better pursuing engineering rather than physics if I want to work for the military.

Weapons systems are not designed by the military but rather by civilian defense contractors or by government labs like Los Alamos or Sandia. The defense contractors are just your standard variety employers and hire people with standard degrees.

n1person said:
Something to consider if your interested in working in defense engineering: http://smart.asee.org/

Also, do you mind me asking how old you are?

I'm barely about to enter university.

1. What is the role of physics in weapons systems?

Physics plays a crucial role in the development, design, and operation of weapons systems. It helps in understanding the behavior of projectiles, explosives, and other materials used in weapons. It also aids in predicting the trajectory, impact, and accuracy of weapons.

2. How does energy transfer affect weapons systems?

Energy transfer is a fundamental concept in physics that is essential in understanding the effectiveness of weapons systems. It determines the amount of force and impact a weapon can have on its target. The more efficient the energy transfer, the more damage a weapon can cause.

3. What is the relationship between ballistics and physics in weapons systems?

Ballistics, the study of the motion and behavior of projectiles, heavily relies on the principles of physics. Factors like trajectory, velocity, and range are all determined by the laws of physics. The understanding of ballistics is crucial in the design and use of weapons systems.

4. How does aerodynamics play a role in modern weapons systems?

Aerodynamics, the study of the motion of air and other gases, is a critical factor in the design and operation of modern weapons. It helps in optimizing the shape and size of projectiles for maximum accuracy and range. It also aids in reducing air resistance, which can affect the trajectory of a projectile.

5. How is the study of mechanics important in weapons systems?

Mechanics, the branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects, is crucial in the development of weapons systems. It is used to analyze the impact and recoil forces of weapons, as well as the structural integrity of the materials used. Mechanics also helps in understanding the stability and control of weapons during flight.