What goes into a capable math mind?

• Thread starter onnyctip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation discusses the hierarchy of mathematics, with topics building upon each other and leading to various branches such as real/complex analysis, abstract algebra, and geometry. The speaker also mentions being located in Ottawa and thanks the other person for their information.
onnyctip
Hi guys. I'm a high school drop-out. I went back and got a General Education Development degree. I'm also doing grade twelve courses because I want to goto university and study engineering. My math is very weak but I feel if I work hard I can catch up.

Right now I'm doing "Calculus and Vectors" and "Advanced Functions" at the high school level. So let's say a great mathematician's knowledge is like a pyrimad. At the base are basics and higher up are more advanced areas that are built up from the base...

I'm thinking it goes something like:

Numbers, simple operations and arithmetic

then calculus and using higher notations

then near the top are concepts like Fourier analysis and functions.

What should I know in terms of subjects?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, the "hierarchy of mathematics" is about which topics rely on the results of other topics. Thinking of it that way,

1. Set theory, logic, operations on sets (cardinality, denumerability, Cartesian product)
2. Definitions and properties of fundamental number systems (natural numbers, integers, rationals, reals, complex numbers); arithmetic; algebra
3. General functions on sets, and functions of real variables; elementary algebraic and transcendental functions (exponential, log, trigonometric)
4. Linear algebra (vector spaces, matrices, linear mappings)
5. Sequences of numbers and real analysis
6. Calculus of functions of one real variable (limits, continuity, derivative, integral, series); and later, complex variables

I think from here, one is ready to tackle a lot of different branches of mathematics: you can head down the real/complex analysis and topology route, abstract algebra, combinatorics/discrete math, geometry (differential, Euclidean and non-Euclidean), applied math (probability and statistics, optimization). The list goes on.

By the way, are you in Ontario, maybe?

Dr. Seafood said:
In my opinion, the "hierarchy of mathematics" is about which topics rely on the results of other topics. Thinking of it that way,

1. Set theory, logic, operations on sets (cardinality, denumerability, Cartesian product)
2. Definitions and properties of fundamental number systems (natural numbers, integers, rationals, reals, complex numbers); arithmetic; algebra
3. General functions on sets, and functions of real variables; elementary algebraic and transcendental functions (exponential, log, trigonometric)
4. Linear algebra (vector spaces, matrices, linear mappings)
5. Sequences of numbers and real analysis
6. Calculus of functions of one real variable (limits, continuity, derivative, integral, series); and later, complex variables

I think from here, one is ready to tackle a lot of different branches of mathematics: you can head down the real/complex analysis and topology route, abstract algebra, combinatorics/discrete math, geometry (differential, Euclidean and non-Euclidean), applied math (probability and statistics, optimization). The list goes on.

By the way, are you in Ontario, maybe?

Yes, Ottawa. I'm guessing the course names give it away?

Thanks for your info btw!

FAQ: What goes into a capable math mind?

1. What are the key characteristics of a capable math mind?

A capable math mind is characterized by a strong understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts, strong problem-solving skills, a good memory for formulas and equations, and the ability to think logically and critically.

2. Is a strong natural aptitude for math necessary to have a capable math mind?

No, while some individuals may have a natural inclination towards math, a strong natural aptitude is not necessary to have a capable math mind. With dedication, hard work, and effective learning strategies, anyone can develop a capable math mind.

3. How can one improve their math skills and develop a capable math mind?

Practice, practice, practice! Regularly solving math problems and actively engaging with the material is essential for improving math skills and developing a capable math mind. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher, studying with peers, and using online resources can also be beneficial.

4. What role does mindset play in having a capable math mind?

Mindset plays a crucial role in having a capable math mind. A growth mindset, which believes that abilities can be developed through hard work and dedication, is necessary for learning and improving in math. On the other hand, a fixed mindset, which believes abilities are fixed and cannot be changed, can hinder progress in math.

5. Are there any specific strategies or techniques that can help develop a capable math mind?

Yes, there are several strategies and techniques that can help develop a capable math mind, such as breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps, using visual aids, and connecting new concepts to previously learned ones. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can also be effective strategies.