Phase shift upon reflection of electromagnetic wave

In summary: PqwrUbDjLMPorAfl8YDQAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=653&dpr=1#v=onepage&q&f=falseIn summary, when a wave is inverted upon reflection, there is a sudden phase shift that implies a discontinuity in the electric field of the wave.
freddyfish
I have indirectly sought the answer to this for some time (since I studied an introductory course in optics 'long' ago), but nobody has been able to give a satisfactory answer, and I have not been able to find the exact answer on the Internet either.

My question is about optics, and more precise about reflections at a boundary. I am familiar with the conditions for phase shift upon reflection etc., and the only thing I wonder is:

When a wave (since we are talking about the wave interpretation of light) is inverted upon reflection, what happens exactly at the point of reflection? If there is a sudden phase shift, then there must be a discontinuity in the electric field of the wave, unless of course it is reflected at the point of its node at all times. This would imply that the point of reflection is moving back and forth in an interval of length λ/2, which would not go well with the electromagnetic waves with longer wavelengths.

I have seen the mathematical expression for this, so a restatement of that would not answer my question properly, unforunately.

Physics news on Phys.org

freddyfish said:
I have indirectly sought the answer to this for some time (since I studied an introductory course in optics 'long' ago), but nobody has been able to give a satisfactory answer, and I have not been able to find the exact answer on the Internet either.

My question is about optics, and more precise about reflections at a boundary. I am familiar with the conditions for phase shift upon reflection etc., and the only thing I wonder is:

When a wave (since we are talking about the wave interpretation of light) is inverted upon reflection, what happens exactly at the point of reflection? If there is a sudden phase shift, then there must be a discontinuity in the electric field of the wave, unless of course it is reflected at the point of its node at all times. This would imply that the point of reflection is moving back and forth in an interval of length λ/2, which would not go well with the electromagnetic waves with longer wavelengths.

I have seen the mathematical expression for this, so a restatement of that would not answer my question properly, unforunately.

Hey,
See here: http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...es-on-reflection-from-optically-denser-medium
http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&q=+s...44,d.bmk&fp=d3f50e1c809abade&biw=1024&bih=653

Related to Phase shift upon reflection of electromagnetic wave

1. What is a phase shift upon reflection?

The phase shift upon reflection refers to the change in the phase of an electromagnetic wave when it is reflected off a surface. It is measured in degrees and can be either positive or negative, depending on the properties of the reflecting surface.

2. What causes a phase shift upon reflection?

A phase shift upon reflection is caused by the change in the speed of the electromagnetic wave as it travels from one medium to another. This change in speed results in a change in the wavelength and therefore a change in the phase of the wave.

3. How is the phase shift upon reflection calculated?

The phase shift upon reflection can be calculated using the formula φ = 2π(d/λ), where φ is the phase shift, d is the distance between the incident and reflected waves, and λ is the wavelength of the incident wave. This formula assumes that the angle of incidence and angle of reflection are equal.

4. What are some examples of phase shift upon reflection in real-life?

One common example of phase shift upon reflection is seen in the interference patterns produced by thin films, such as soap bubbles or oil slicks on water. Another example is the phase shift that occurs when light reflects off a mirror or glass surface.

5. How does the phase shift upon reflection affect the properties of electromagnetic waves?

The phase shift upon reflection can affect the amplitude and intensity of an electromagnetic wave. It can also impact the polarization of the wave, which is the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields. In some cases, the phase shift can also cause destructive interference, resulting in a decrease in the overall intensity of the reflected wave.