Solving Polynomial Equations: Help With (x+3)^2/3=3 & 1-1=3

• Thread starter gfighter39
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation includes a request for help with a couple of problems. The first problem involves finding the value of x in the equation (x+3)^2/3=3. The second problem involves solving the equation 1/x(x+1)-1=3 using the LCD x(x+1). The conversation also includes clarification on the second problem and a suggestion to multiply both sides by the LCD. The final solution involves completing the square or using the quadratic formula.
gfighter39
i need help with a couple of problems

(x+3)^2/3=3

I don't even know were to start

2.1 - 1 = 3
- ---
x x+1

LCD is (x)(x+1)

1(x)(x+1) - 1(x)(x+1) = 3(x)(x+1)
--------- --------- ---------
x(x+1) (x)x+1 (x)(x+1)

1x+1 - 1x = 3x^2 + 3x

3x^2 + 3x + 1 = 0

3^2 - 4(3)(1)

that is all i have and i don't think it is right because the answer should be

-3 + or - the squ. root of 11
-----------------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got:
[tex]\frac{(x+3)^2}{3}=3[/tex]
so
[tex](x+3)^2=9[/tex]
right?

Assuming that (x+3)^2/3=3 meant [tex]\frac{(x+3)^2}{3}=3[/tex] then
NateTG is correct: (x+3)2= 9.

2. is a little hard to understand. I think you meant
[tex]\frac{1}{x(x+1)}-1= 3[/tex].

Yes, the LCD is x(x+1) but then you used that incorrectly. If you want to combine fractions on the left, the first fraction remains [tex]\frac{1}{x(x+1}[/tex]. You don't want the "x(x+1)" in the numerator. You multiply both numerator and denominator of the "-1" by x(x+1) to get [tex]\frac{1}{x(x+1)}- \frac{x(x+1)}{x(x+1)}= 3[/tex]. The "3" also does not change on the right hand side.

Actually, rather than adding the fractions I would recommend simply multiplying both sides of the equation by the LCD:
[tex]x(x+1)(\frac{1}{x(x+1)}-1)= 3(x(x+1))[/tex]so
[tex]1- x(x+1)= 3x(x+1)[/tex] or
[tex] 2x(x+1)= 2x^2+ 2x= 1[/tex]
Now solve that by completing the square or using the quadratic formula.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic equation that is made up of multiple terms, each with a numeric coefficient and one or more variables raised to non-negative integer powers. Examples of polynomial equations include x^2 + 3x + 2 = 0 and 2y^3 - 5y + 1 = 0.

How do I solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations such as combining like terms, distributing, and factoring. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value by using the appropriate operations.

What is the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest exponent of the variable in the equation. For example, the polynomial equation x^2 + 3x + 2 = 0 has a degree of 2, while the equation 2y^3 - 5y + 1 = 0 has a degree of 3.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations, which are polynomial equations of degree 2. The formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

How do I solve (x+3)^2/3=3 & 1-1=3?

To solve (x+3)^2/3=3, you can start by multiplying both sides by 3 to get rid of the fraction. This will give you (x+3)^2 = 9. Then, you can take the square root of both sides, giving you x+3 = ±3. Solving for x, you get x = 0 or x = -6. To solve 1-1=3, you can see that the equation is not possible since 1-1 equals 0, not 3. Therefore, there is no solution to this equation.