Atomic, Molecular & Solid State Physics Books: Which to Buy?

Pauli exclusion principle, and applications. We will also cover topics like the helium atom, degenerate perturbation theory, and an introduction to many-electron atoms. Additionally, we will discuss fine and hyperfine structure, atoms in static external fields, time-dependent perturbation theory, and electromagnetic transitions in atoms. We will also delve into topics such as spectroscopy and lasers, exponential decay and barrier penetration, and an introduction to molecules and chemical bonds. Furthermore, we will study crystal bonding and structure, crystal imperfections and mechanical properties, and lattice vibrations and thermal properties. We will also

Which book should I buy (if only one is bought)?

• Physics of Atoms and Molecules

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Introduction to Solid State Physics

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
pivoxa15
I am doing a subject called "Atomic, Molecular & Solid State Physics"

Description:
The content of this subject includes aspects of the following: systems of identical particles, symmetrisation and antisymmetrisation, the Pauli exclusion principle and applications; the helium atom; degenerate perturbation theory; an introduction to many-electron atoms; fine and hyperfine structure; atoms in static external fields, the Stark and Zeeman effects, magnetism; time-dependent perturbation theory, electromagnetic transitions in atoms, spectroscopy and lasers; exponential decay and barrier penetration; an introduction to molecules and chemical bonds; crystal bonding and structure; crystal imperfections and mechanical properties; lattice vibrations and thermal properties; band theory of electrons: metals, insulators and semiconductors; dielectric and magnetic properties of solids; and superconductivity.

There are two recommanded books
* B H Bransden and C J Joachain, Physics of Atoms and Molecules. Longman, 1983.
* C Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics. 6th edn, Wiley.

The lecturer said the course won't be based on any of them. Should I buy one over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
atoms and molecules are boring

my recommendation would be to purchase both books as they cover different aspects of the subject and can provide a comprehensive understanding of atomic, molecular, and solid state physics. However, if you had to choose one over the other, it would depend on your specific interests and focus within the subject.

If you are more interested in the atomic and molecular aspects, then B H Bransden and C J Joachain's book may be a better choice as it covers topics such as the Pauli exclusion principle, fine and hyperfine structure, and spectroscopy. On the other hand, if you are more interested in solid state physics, then C Kittel's book may be a better option as it covers topics such as crystal bonding and structure, band theory of electrons, and superconductivity.

Ultimately, it is important to consider your own learning style and preferences when deciding which book to purchase. You may also want to consult with your lecturer for their recommendations or any supplementary materials they may provide for the course.

Related to Atomic, Molecular & Solid State Physics Books: Which to Buy?

1. What are the key differences between atomic, molecular, and solid state physics?

Atomic physics involves the study of individual atoms and their properties, while molecular physics focuses on the interactions between atoms and molecules. Solid state physics deals with the behavior of large numbers of atoms in solid materials.

2. How can I determine which atomic, molecular, and solid state physics book is right for me?

The best way to determine which book is right for you is to first identify your level of understanding and what specific topics you are interested in. Then, read reviews and summaries of different books to see which ones cover those topics in a way that is understandable to you.

3. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for atomic, molecular, and solid state physics books?

Some well-known authors and publishers in this field include Richard Feynman, David J. Griffiths, Wiley, and Oxford University Press. However, it is always best to read reviews and sample chapters to determine which specific book suits your needs.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand these books?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is helpful, it is not always necessary to understand these books. Many books offer explanations and examples that are accessible to readers with various levels of mathematical understanding.

5. Can I use these books for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These books can be used for self-study or in a classroom setting. However, it is important to choose a book that is appropriate for your level of understanding and offers clear explanations and examples to facilitate learning on your own.