Reconciling Magnetism in material and the Lorentz Force equation

In summary: I'm not sure, but it seems like Maxwell and others in his time were trying to figure out how magnetism and electricity worked together. They didn't have a good understanding of electron spin yet, so they had to come up with a model that made sense. Thanks for the question!
xerxes73
Hello,

The Lorentz force equation, F = q (E + v x B), is a complete description of the force on bodies arising from Magnetism and Electricity, right? So somehow it must be possible to get from the magnetism that exists in materials (like in a magnet) to this equation. I don't see how the connection can be made. How could one get from having a magnet that always gives off a magnetic field that will cause a force on a piece of steel to this equation which has the velocity of charges? Is there a velocity of an electron in the magnet that will make this all work out. I am guessing that because of the bizarre nature of electrons the answer would be no, so how can one explain the nature of magnets with this equation.

And another question is how in how in heck did they make sense of this connection from magnets to this equation back in Maxwell's time when they didn't even know that an electron existed...?

Anyway, insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -xerxes73

Physics news on Phys.org
xerxes73 said:
The Lorentz force equation, F = q (E + v x B), is a complete description of the force on bodies arising from Magnetism and Electricity, right? … How could one get from having a magnet that always gives off a magnetic field that will cause a force on a piece of steel to this equation which has the velocity of charges? Is there a velocity of an electron in the magnet that will make this all work out.

Hello xerxes73! :smile:

It's because the electrons in the steel are moving (spinning) charges, and so the magnetic field will pull them "sideways".

In most materials, these forces are random, because the electron spins are random, and so the net force is zero, and the material goes nowhere.

But in a magnetisable material such as steel, the electrons can all be persuaded to face the same way, so the forces add up. :wink:
And another question is how in how in heck did they make sense of this connection from magnets to this equation back in Maxwell's time when they didn't even know that an electron existed...?

I think they only dealt with magnetic fields from currents in wires. :smile:

Thanks Tiny-Tim So if you took the spins calculated what forces are in play and what E and B fields are there, they would follow this classical Lorentz force law, or does this break down pretty quick in the face of quantum mechanics?

I guess I have heard that Maxwell came up with a strange model with vortexes and things like that to explain the inner-workings of these forces in space and in atoms and perhaps that was in response to this need to explain magnetism in materials. Because even though he did a complete classical description of electricity and magnetism, electron spins would be something that he didn't have access to and so that must have been a big area of mystery to him and the other guys working this problem. Anyway, anyone with insights into that I would greatly appreciate hearing from.

Thanks! -xerxes73

Ferromagnetism is due to the aligned magnet moments and spins of the electrons in iron.
These are quantum effects, and spin angular momentum of a point particle is not a classical concept. The force grad(m.B) and torque mXB on an electron magnetic moment cannot be derived directly from the Lorentz force law, because there is no current involved. It is a new type of force, but can be inferred by analogy with the interaction of a current loop. In another thread, it was noticed that the energy of a QM magnetic moment in a magnetic field had a sign (-m.B) opposite that of a current loop in a magnetic field (+m.B).

Early on, Farady conjectured that ferromagnetism was due to current loops in molecules, and (although that was before my time) I think that was the general feeling until QM spin entered.

xerxes73 said:
Hello,

The Lorentz force equation, F = q (E + v x B), is a complete description of the force on bodies arising from Magnetism and Electricity, right? So somehow it must be possible to get from the magnetism that exists in materials (like in a magnet) to this equation. I don't see how the connection can be made. How could one get from having a magnet that always gives off a magnetic field that will cause a force on a piece of steel to this equation which has the velocity of charges?

Hello Xerces73-
Who needs equations like Maxwell's equations or the Lorentz Law of Force, which were developed in the 1860's and 1870's. Look here http://www.sparkmuseum.com/MOTORS.HTM to see the electric motor Faraday built in 1821, ten years before J. C. Maxwell was even born.

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon where certain materials produce a magnetic field. This field is created by the alignment of the magnetic moments of the atoms in the material.

What is the Lorentz Force equation?

The Lorentz Force equation is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It states that the force is equal to the charge of the particle multiplied by the cross product of its velocity and the combined electric and magnetic field vectors.

How does magnetism affect the Lorentz Force equation?

Magnetism plays a crucial role in the Lorentz Force equation as it is one of the two components of the force. The magnetic field in the equation is responsible for determining the direction of the force acting on a charged particle.

What happens when the magnetic field in a material is not uniform?

If the magnetic field in a material is not uniform, the Lorentz Force equation must be modified to account for this. The force acting on a charged particle will vary depending on its position within the magnetic field.

How do scientists reconcile magnetism in materials with the Lorentz Force equation?

Scientists use various theories and mathematical models, such as quantum mechanics and classical electromagnetism, to explain and reconcile the effects of magnetism in materials with the Lorentz Force equation. They also conduct experiments to test and validate these theories and models.