Covariant derivative along a horizontal lift in an associated vector bundle

In summary, we are trying to show that the covariant derivative along the horizontal lift of a curve in the base space vanishes, using the relation between \Psi and the horizontal lift. By considering the path \gamma(t) in the associated bundle, we can show that the covariant derivative is constant and therefore, it vanishes.
n.evans
I am trying to familiarize myself with the use of fibre bundles and associated bundles but am having some problems actually making calculations. I would like to show that the covariant derivative along the horizontal lift of a curve in the base space vanishes (which should be just a matter of employing definitions correctly I think):

Consider a principal fibre bundle [itex](E, \pi, M)[/itex] with a structure group [itex]G[/itex] associated to a vector bundle [itex](E_F, \pi_F, M)[/itex], where [itex]F[/itex] is a vector space. Let [itex]\alpha(t): [a, b] \rightarrow M[/itex] and [itex]\alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t): M \rightarrow E_F[/itex] be the horizontal lift of [itex]\alpha[/itex] in the associated bundle. Let [itex]\Psi(x): M \rightarrow E_F[/itex], with [itex]x \in M[/itex] be a section of the associated bundle, such that [itex]\Psi(\alpha(t)) = \alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t)[/itex]

Show that the covariant derivative [itex]\nabla_{\alpha}\Psi[/itex] evaluated along [itex]\alpha(t)[/itex] vanishes.

I know that the covariant derivative can be written as

[itex]\nabla_{\mu}\Psi(x) = \partial_{\mu}\Psi(x) + A_{\mu}(x)\Psi(x)[/itex]

but I cannot work out how to use the relation between [itex]\Psi[/itex] and [itex]\alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t)[/itex] to show that it vanishes (if indeed it should).

Physics news on Phys.org
Let \gamma(t) denote the path in E_F given by \alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t). Then we have that\nabla_{\alpha}\Psi(x) = \frac{d}{dt}\Psi(\gamma(t)) = \frac{d}{dt}\alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t)Now, since \alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t) is the horizontal lift of \alpha(t), it follows that \alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t) is constant along \alpha(t). Thus we have\nabla_{\alpha}\Psi(x) = \frac{d}{dt}\alpha^{\uparrow}_F(t) = 0.Hence, the covariant derivative \nabla_{\alpha}\Psi evaluated along \alpha(t) vanishes.

1. What is a covariant derivative along a horizontal lift in an associated vector bundle?

A covariant derivative along a horizontal lift in an associated vector bundle is a mathematical concept used to describe the change of a vector field along a horizontal lift in a vector bundle. It takes into account the curvature of the bundle and allows for the differentiation of vector fields that are not parallel to the underlying base space.

2. How is a covariant derivative along a horizontal lift defined?

A covariant derivative along a horizontal lift is defined as an extension of the usual covariant derivative on the base space to the vector bundle. It takes into account the additional structure of the bundle and ensures that the derivative is compatible with the bundle's curvature and connection.

3. What is the relationship between a covariant derivative along a horizontal lift and parallel transport?

A covariant derivative along a horizontal lift is closely related to parallel transport. In fact, the covariant derivative along a horizontal lift can be seen as a generalization of parallel transport to vector fields that are not parallel to the base space. It ensures that the derivative of a vector field along a horizontal lift is independent of the path taken, just like parallel transport.

4. How is a covariant derivative along a horizontal lift calculated?

The calculation of a covariant derivative along a horizontal lift involves using the connection on the vector bundle and the curvature tensor to determine how the vector field changes along the lift. This can be done using specific formulas or by using the properties of the connection and curvature to simplify the calculation.

5. What are the applications of a covariant derivative along a horizontal lift in physics?

A covariant derivative along a horizontal lift has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of curved spaces and gauge theories. It is used in general relativity to describe the behavior of matter and energy in curved spacetime, and in gauge theories to study the behavior of particles and fields in non-Euclidean spaces.