Point at which a line intersects a plane

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general solution for T in the plane equation Ax + By + Cz = D when given two points (p1 and p2) and a normal vector (n). The goal is to isolate T in the equation and the person is seeking help with this problem for a programming function.
sparkzbarca
So i know the equation of a plane.

Ax + By +Cz = D

Normal is the normal vector to the plane.

A = normal.x
B = normal.y
C = normal.z
p1 and p2 are 2 points on the line (which will intercept a plane at some point)
the .x and .y and .z refer to there respective components of the vector.

X = (p2.x - p1.x)* T + p1.x
Y = (p2.y - p1.y)* T + p1.y
Z = (p2.z - p1.z)* T + p1.z

I also know what D equals I solved for that by moving stuff around

The problem is a need a general solution for T.

It should be something like

A ((p2.x - p1.x) * T + p1.x)) + B ((p2.y - p1.y) * T + p1.y)) + C ((p2.z - p1.z) * T + p1.z)) = D

Except isolated for T (I believe)

In case your curious this is for a programming function. Thats why I'm using nothing but variables.

I can solve for every equation but T, while I can solve for T by myself given specific numbers I am not sure how to isolate it even if I expand out the equation to stuff like

Ap2.x - Ap1.x * AT + Ap1.x ...

I'm thinking maybe I am going down the wrong path here or something.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have p1 p2 and n?
Why not group terms in T ... then the equation has form: [itex]\lambda T + \mu = D[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the point at which a line intersects a plane?

The point at which a line intersects a plane is the single point where the line and plane intersect each other. It is the point where the coordinates of the line and plane are the same.

2. How can I calculate the point of intersection between a line and a plane?

To calculate the point of intersection between a line and a plane, you can use the equations of both the line and the plane and solve for the coordinates of the point where the two equations are equal.

3. What is the significance of the point of intersection between a line and a plane?

The point of intersection between a line and a plane is significant because it represents the point where the two objects intersect and share the same coordinates. This point can be used to solve various geometric problems and equations.

4. Can a line intersect a plane at more than one point?

Yes, a line can intersect a plane at more than one point. This is known as an infinite number of intersection points, as the line and plane continue on infinitely in both directions.

5. How is the point of intersection between a line and a plane represented geometrically?

The point of intersection between a line and a plane is represented geometrically as a single point where the two objects intersect. It can be visualized as the point where an imaginary line drawn from the line to the plane would touch both objects.