Just can't get enough Particle Physics

In summary, a 14-year-old living in Ireland is interested in learning about particle physics. However, they are struggling to find helpful resources and their science teacher is not knowledgeable in the subject. It is suggested that they focus on mastering the fundamentals of physics and mathematics first before delving into particle physics. Additionally, it is emphasized that passion and dedication are key in pursuing this field of study. Ultimately, the student is advised to excel in their physics and math classes in school in order to prepare for higher level physics at university.
ScienceNerd36
I'm a 14 year old, living in Ireland. The country where many great authors and poets have come from. Unfortunately not nearly enough particle physicists. So my question is: How do I learn as much as I can about particle physics. There's only so many books you can read before you start to just waste your money on information you can't understand. And my science teacher isn't exactly a genius.
By the way, I'm posting this because the other day I was talking to someone roughly the same age as me, who also had a great interest in particle physics, but he knew so much more than me.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you know about it, and why does it interest you?

I highly doubt you have yet even started your A'Levels, eh? Plus, as you say those books are difficult to understand: that's because particle physics is not elementary physics. You need to understand a lot about fundamentals of physics and mathematics before plunging into Particle Physics. So, be patient and don't worry.

further, your teacher doesn't need to be a 'genius'. You can get along with an average teacher as well. What ACTUALLY matters is YOUR devotion and passion about what you choose to do!

"Contemplation and curiosity is the basis of all knowledge"
-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Just make sure you get top grades in your school physics classes. And maths. Then you will be all set up to study higher level physics at university.

1. What is Particle Physics?

Particle Physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. These building blocks, also known as particles, include subatomic particles such as quarks, leptons, and bosons.

2. How are particles studied in Particle Physics?

Particles are studied using large and complex particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These accelerators accelerate particles to high energies and then collide them to create new particles and study their properties.

3. What is the significance of Particle Physics?

Particle Physics helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear energy.

4. What is the role of the Higgs boson in Particle Physics?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving other particles their mass. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the validity of the Standard Model of Particle Physics and helped us understand the origins of mass in the universe.

5. What are some current research topics in Particle Physics?

Some current research topics in Particle Physics include the search for new particles beyond the Standard Model, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the properties of the Higgs boson.