Help With Finding a Good School in the U.S. for Power Engineering?

In summary: I am not familiar with RPI, but I will look into it.Thank you for letting me know about RPI.Hello everybody,I am looking for a good school in the U.S. that specializes in Electrical Power Engineering. However, I'm coming up short. I searched the forums to see if anyone else had discussed this topic, and couldn't find much, so I decided to make a post.I'd be grateful to hear any helpful ideas.Electrical engineering is one of the fundamental engineering disciplines and there are tons of good schools for it.Some of the schools you may want to consider are Auburn, Virginia Tech, and Cal Poly San Luis Obis
relex
Hello everybody,

I am looking for a good school in the U.S. that specializes in Electrical Power Engineering. However I'm coming up short. I searched the forums to see if anyone else had discussed this topic, and couldn't find much, so I decided to make a post.

I'd be grateful to hear any helpful ideas.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electrical engineering is one of the fundamental engineering disciplines and there are tons of good schools for it.

relex said:
Hello everybody,

I am looking for a good school in the U.S. that specializes in Electrical Power Engineering. However I'm coming up short. I searched the forums to see if anyone else had discussed this topic, and couldn't find much, so I decided to make a post.

What do you mean by Electrical Power Engineering? That could mean power supplies, or motor drives, or lighting systems, etc. Or it could mean AC Mains power distribution systems and the Smart Grid. Which is the product line you want to pursue?

Large scale, power grid stuff, not computer engineering and microchips and circuit boards

You need not worry about high power for an undergraduate program if you attend a reasonably good quality school. You'll get all you need with undergraduate circuits, semiconductors, EM, physics, and a machines course (the latter might be an elective course).

Graduate school is another matter, and some schools have high power research specializations. Virginia Tech has had a good program for years - high power semiconductors, etc.

Likes 1 person
Try Auburn. Reason i say that is:

I always remembered one of my EE power instructors. He was a grad student at the time. His lectures were lucid and he was darn practical. I took an old car alternator to him that would no longer keep up with the headlights, and he helped me figure out it was just a three phase machine with rectifiers inside. That's how i came to really understand synchronous impedance, but i digress... (it only needed brushes and a bearing)

anyhow here's a link to some of his work.
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~gross/readme.htm

google power systems auburn and it's evident there's something going on there.

also see EE-6600 series of courses here
http://bulletin.auburn.edu/coursesofinstruction/elec/

Dr Gross is probably retired by now, but he'll leave a legacy.

0471862061.jpg

my two cents, and probably overpriced at that.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
mheslep, I appreciate your answer.

I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at the classes at different universities, and try to verify such in my physics, etc. classes

Thank you Jim for telling me about Auburn. I'm looking over your links right now

relex said:
Hello everybody,

relex said:
Large scale, power grid stuff, not computer engineering and microchips and circuit boards
bolding by me

I definitely agree with mheslep. Power engineering is a sub-discipline of Electrical engineering. Besides you'll NEED to understand what I've bolded. e.g. The power grid has to be made safe and reliable using Protective Relaying which uses microprocessor based equipment and getting information/data from the equipment attached to the grid that's used to make the grid work is done with some kind of supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) which uses lots of circuit boards and wiring.

Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo used to have two different degrees:
Electrical Engineering (POwer/motors/etc) and
Electronic Engineering (vacuume tubes, transistors, etc)

They also started with labs and actual elecrtronics classes in the first quarter.
Not sure what they have now. Also, San Luis Obispo is a beautiful place to live and go to school.

RPI used to have an Electric Power Engineering Dept. that offered degrees in EP engineering. When I attended in the late 1970's, those guys always had jobs. The program is now part of the ECSE Dept. but I see many of the faculty do EP research.

Related to Help With Finding a Good School in the U.S. for Power Engineering?

What is power engineering?

Power engineering is a field of engineering that focuses on the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power. It involves designing, operating, and maintaining power systems to ensure a reliable and efficient supply of electricity.

What are the key factors to consider when looking for a good school for power engineering in the U.S.?

The key factors to consider when looking for a good school for power engineering include accreditation, curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and industry connections. It is important to choose a school that is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) and offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers all aspects of power engineering. Faculty expertise and research opportunities can also provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities, while industry connections can help with job placement after graduation.

What kind of job opportunities are available for power engineering graduates?

Power engineering graduates can find job opportunities in various industries, including electric power companies, renewable energy companies, consulting firms, and government agencies. Some common job titles for power engineering graduates include power systems engineer, electrical engineer, energy analyst, and project manager.

What are some top universities in the U.S. for studying power engineering?

Some top universities in the U.S. for studying power engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California-Berkeley, University of Michigan, and Purdue University. These universities have strong power engineering programs and offer excellent resources for students, including state-of-the-art facilities, research centers, and industry partnerships.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for studying power engineering in the U.S.?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for students studying power engineering in the U.S. These include scholarships offered by universities, organizations, and companies, as well as federal financial aid such as grants, loans, and work-study programs. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities to help finance your education.