Simultaneous nonlinear equations

• Thread starter daudaudaudau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlinear
In summary, the conversation discusses two equations and different methods for solving them analytically. The speaker suggests avoiding square roots to avoid ambiguity and provides three solutions for solving the equations without square roots. They also ask for suggestions and if there are any general methods for solving nonlinear equations.
daudaudaudau
Hi. I have the following two equations

[tex]S_{21}=\frac{(1-\Gamma^2)z}{1-z^2\Gamma^2}[/tex]
[tex]S_{11}=\frac{(1-z^2)\Gamma}{1-z^2\Gamma^2}[/tex]

How would you go about solving these equations? I want to avoid square roots because they make the results ambiguous.

I myself have found that

[tex]z=\pm\sqrt{\frac{\Gamma-S_{11}}{\Gamma-S_{11}\Gamma^2}}[/tex]

but a better solution is

[tex]z=\frac{S_{21}}{1-S_{11}\Gamma}[/tex]

because it avoids the sign ambiguity. Yet another good solution is

[tex]z=\frac{(S_{11}+S_{21})-\Gamma}{1-(S_{11}+S_{21})\Gamma}[/tex]

but I have no clue how to arrive at these results. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any general methods for solving nonlinear equations analytically? I only know of the substitution method and then applying the quadratic forumla.

1. What are simultaneous nonlinear equations?

Simultaneous nonlinear equations are a set of two or more equations that involve variables with powers greater than one, such as quadratic or exponential equations. They are called "simultaneous" because they must be solved together in order to find a common solution.

2. How are simultaneous nonlinear equations solved?

Simultaneous nonlinear equations are typically solved using numerical methods, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and find a common solution that satisfies all of the equations.

3. What are the applications of simultaneous nonlinear equations?

Simultaneous nonlinear equations have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model complex systems and make predictions based on various variables and their relationships.

4. Can simultaneous nonlinear equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, simultaneous nonlinear equations can have multiple solutions, depending on the specific equations and variables involved. In some cases, there may be no solution, while in others, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to solving simultaneous nonlinear equations?

While numerical methods can often be used to solve simultaneous nonlinear equations, they may not always provide an exact solution. Additionally, some systems of nonlinear equations may be too complex to solve using traditional methods and may require advanced techniques or software.