Some chemistry problems I don't know where to start

• Thread starter korr2221
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: Redox reactions involve both ions and atoms, and are reactions in which one element gains or loses electrons.
korr2221

Homework Statement

1. Circle all insoluble compounds. (5 pts) (-1 for each incorrect, to a max total of -5)

Na3PO4 CaCl2 HgCl2 LiNO3 , PbBr2 , PbCO3

(NH4)3PO4 CuCl2 Fe(OH)2 MgSO4 AgNO3 K2CO3

Given the insoluble compounds, and important exceptions list... how do I follow the question above?

2. Write the balanced net ionic equation for precipitation of CaCO3 when
aqueous solutions of Li2CO3 and CaCl2 are mixed. (2 pt)

Ca2+ (aq) + CO32- (aq) -> CaCO3 (s)

How do I do the question above? What is the things to do in order to write out the net ionic equation?

1. When ammonia is combined with hydrochloric acid, the products are:
a. NH4Cl + H2O (correct)
b. NH4Cl + OH- + H2
c. NH3Cl + H2O
d. NH3Cl + H2
e. NH4Cl + OH-

2. Considering the following reaction, what is undergoing oxidation?
Fe + ZnCl2 -> FeCl2 + Zn
a. Fe and Cl2
b. Fe and Zn
c. Fe (correct)
d. Zn
e. Cl2

3. Balance the following net ionic redox reaction:
Ca + Sb3+ -> Ca2+ + Sb
a. Ca + Sb3+ -> Ca2+ + Sb
b. 2Ca + Sb3+ -> Ca2+ + 3Sb
c. Ca + 2Sb3+ -> 3Ca2+ + Sb
d. 3Ca + 2Sb3+ -> 3Ca2+ + 2Sb (correct)
e. 2Ca + 3Sb3+ -> 2Ca2+ + 3Sb

I've looked around my textbook for examples but couldn't find anything. What chapters or phrases should I be looking for to do these problems? These are study guide questions... and I need to learn how to do them soon... I'm so lost in my Chem class..

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have a table reffering to insoluble substances in H2O i assume, i do... :/ like PbI is insoluble(if i remember correctly, i don't have the table in front of me) there are also a set of 5 rules...

as for net ionic equations, look in the "Redox Reduction Reactions" Should be in there, or check the glossary section of your textbook, I'm not very good at them ^.^

Grogerian said:
You should have a table reffering to insoluble substances in H2O i assume, i do... :/ like PbI is insoluble(if i remember correctly, i don't have the table in front of me) there are also a set of 5 rules...

OK for tables, they should be in the book or easy to google, but no such thing as PbI (PbI2 it is).

as for net ionic equations, look in the "Redox Reduction Reactions" Should be in there, or check the glossary section of your textbook, I'm not very good at them ^.^

Net ionic equations have nothing in common with redox reactions. Net ionic means just that they contain only ions that take part in the reaction (none of the spectators).

1. What are the most common types of chemistry problems?

Some of the most common types of chemistry problems include stoichiometry, balancing chemical equations, and calculating molar mass.

2. How can I approach a chemistry problem I don't know where to start?

First, identify what type of problem it is and review any relevant formulas or concepts. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams or making a table to organize information.

3. What resources can I use to help me solve chemistry problems?

You can use textbooks, online resources, or consult with a teacher or tutor for additional help. Practice problems and review sheets can also be useful in improving problem-solving skills.

4. Why is it important to show all steps when solving a chemistry problem?

Showcasing your thought process and steps taken to solve a problem not only helps you catch any mistakes, but also allows others to understand and follow your reasoning. This can also help in receiving partial credit if you make a mistake but show your work.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in chemistry?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you solve problems and familiarize yourself with different types of chemistry problems, the better you will become at identifying patterns and approaches to solving them. Additionally, seek help and guidance from peers or teachers when needed.