Code water thermodynamic properties (enthelpy)

In summary, the speaker is looking for ways to program water thermodynamic properties in order to model a steam power plant. They are specifically interested in obtaining the enthalpy of the fluid using temperature and pressure. They have found a software called Cantera but have encountered an error when trying to use it with Matlab. They are seeking alternative solutions or advice on using Cantera with Windows 7. They also suggest reading references on water thermodynamic properties for more information.
Solibus
Hi everyone,

I would like to program water thermodynamic properties in C, C++ or Matlab in order to model a steam power plant. I'm particularly interested in getting the enthalpy of the fluid by knowing the temperature and the pressure.

I recently found out the software Cantera (http://code.google.com/p/cantera/), I tried to use it with Matlab and I get an error which is already mentioned in comment on the website many times without answer.

So, I would like to know if someone knows how I could program water thermodynamic properties to solve my problem without buying a software like Refprop. Or maybe someone use Cantera with Windows 7.

Thank you for your time and your help.

Science news on Phys.org

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total amount of energy in a system, including both its internal energy and the energy required to push back the surrounding pressure.

2. What is the formula for calculating enthalpy?

The formula for calculating enthalpy is H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume.

3. How is enthalpy related to water?

Enthalpy is a property of water, just like temperature or density. It represents the energy contained within a given amount of water at a specific temperature and pressure.

4. How does enthalpy change with temperature and pressure?

Enthalpy will generally increase as temperature and pressure increase. However, the change in enthalpy can also depend on the specific phase or state of the water (e.g. liquid, solid, gas).

5. What is the significance of enthalpy in studying water thermodynamics?

Enthalpy is an important property in studying water thermodynamics because it helps us understand and predict how water will behave and interact with its surroundings at different temperatures and pressures. It is also a key component in many thermodynamic equations and calculations.