Workbook guide +problem in Math. Phys.

• Thread starter blade86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the search for good workbooks for practicing various mathematical problems in the field of theoretical physics, specifically special functions, Bessel, Legendre, Laplace, integral transforms, ODEs, PDEs, and complex variables. The conversation also included a request for help with a specific problem involving the heat equation and heat conductivity. Tips were given to practice by answering physics forums and searching for homework assignments and solutions on websites like ocw.mit.edu.
blade86
Hey I have a degree robotics and moved to theoretical physics so am still struggling to keep up with the mathematics. I was wondering if there are any good workbooks out there where I can just practice a lot of problems, mainly (special functions: Bessel, Legendre, Laplace, Integral transforms, ODEs PDEs and complex variables)?
Also some help with the following problem would be helpful:

If a cube of side length a originally at temp. T[itex]_{0}[/itex] is placed in a reservoir at temp. T=0 K, show the subsequent temp. is :

[itex]T(x,t)[/itex] = [itex] T_0 [/itex] [itex] \Sigma_{l,m,n} [/itex] [itex] 64 \over lmn \pi^3[/itex] [itex] sin[ {{l \pi} \over{a}} x][/itex] [itex] sin[ {{m \pi} \over{a}} y][/itex] [itex] sin[ {{n \pi} \over{a}} z][/itex] [itex] e^{-(l^2 + m^2 + n^2)({\pi \over a})^2 \kappa t}[/itex]

where [itex] \kappa [/itex] is the heat conductivity.

Any help or guidance on how to approach the solution would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
blade86 said:
Hey I have a degree robotics and moved to theoretical physics so am still struggling to keep up with the mathematics. I was wondering if there are any good workbooks out there where I can just practice a lot of problems, mainly (special functions: Bessel, Legendre, Laplace, Integral transforms, ODEs PDEs and complex variables)?
Also some help with the following problem would be helpful:

If a cube of side length a originally at temp. T[itex]_{0}[/itex] is placed in a reservoir at temp. T=0 K, show the subsequent temp. is :

[itex]T(x,t)[/itex] = [itex] T_0 [/itex] [itex] \Sigma_{l,m,n} [/itex] [itex] 64 \over lmn \pi^3[/itex] [itex] sin[ {{l \pi} \over{a}} x][/itex] [itex] sin[ {{m \pi} \over{a}} y][/itex] [itex] sin[ {{n \pi} \over{a}} z][/itex] [itex] e^{-(l^2 + m^2 + n^2)({\pi \over a})^2 \kappa t}[/itex]

where [itex] \kappa [/itex] is the heat conductivity.

Any help or guidance on how to approach the solution would be much appreciated.
I'm not really a physics guy, but my initial reaction is to start with the heat equation.$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}-\frac{\kappa}{\rho c_p}\nabla^2T=0.$$

As an aside, am I the only one here who sees that mess and automatically imagines Steve Irwin yelling "Crikey! Look at the size of that thing!" ? :rofl:

Edit: If you really want to get good at the math, what I've done for practice is stalk the forums and try to answer whatever questions I deem worth answering. It's actually rather effective.

Are you just looking for a bunch of good problems with some answers to check your work? Many university classes post homework assignments and solutions. Try
ocw.mit.edu

jason

Thanks for the tips, yeah answering physics forums seems like a good idea. I tried the solution.. maybe its something like this (attached pdf). but not sure about the subsequent temperature.

Attachments

• heat diffusion.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 253
@jasonRF yes indeed I am just looking to solve a lot of problems to become more fluent in the mathematics.

1. What is a workbook guide in math and physics?

A workbook guide in math and physics is a tool that provides step-by-step instructions and practice problems to help students understand and apply concepts in these subjects. It typically includes explanations, examples, and exercises for various topics in the subject.

2. How can a workbook guide help me with math and physics problems?

A workbook guide can provide a structured way to approach and solve problems in math and physics. It breaks down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable steps and provides practice problems to reinforce learning.

3. How do I choose the right workbook guide for my level and needs?

It is important to consider your current level of understanding and the specific topics you need help with. Look for a workbook guide that aligns with your curriculum and includes practice problems and answer keys to assess your progress.

4. Can a workbook guide replace a teacher or textbook?

A workbook guide can be a helpful supplement to a teacher or textbook, but it cannot replace them entirely. A teacher can provide personalized instruction and a textbook provides a comprehensive overview of the subject.

5. Are there any tips for using a workbook guide effectively?

It is helpful to read through the explanations and examples before attempting the practice problems. Take your time and refer back to the guide as needed. It may also be beneficial to work through problems with a study group or seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.