Some sort of transform to find the log of a series

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of calculating the incomplete gamma function for large arguments (around 50,000) in a computer program. The first number needed for the calculation can be easily reduced with logs, but the second number can only be defined as a sum. The thread mentioned provides a possible solution of turning infinite sums into infinite products, but it may not work in this specific case. The conversation also suggests using a specialized arbitrary precision numerical library for accuracy and checking the routine against output from a standard numerical library.
onanox
I am trying to write a computer program that involves finding 2 very large numbers (several thousand digits) and dividing them to get a reasonable sized number.
the first number is a value of the gamma function, which can be defined as a product and thus easy to reduce with logs (find the sum of the log of each term).

hoewever the second number is a value of the incomplete gamma function, which AKAIK can only be defined as a sum. clearly, if I just log each term and sum them, id get the log of the product and thus, no dice. However, if I could find some transform for each term, that when summed would equal the log of the total sum, my problems would be solved.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the problem is that each term in the series is too large to compute with standard data types, and that thread defines a product based on a sum and thus will not work.

A time honored way of answering a internet post about "How do I do this..." is to reply "You don't want to do that...". It isn't necessarily relevant to your post, but it might be wise to explain exactly what you are trying to do - in case there is some special trick that applies to the situation but not in general or in case there is a way to avoid the problem altogether.

You should also clarify whether if you are determined not to use a specialized arbitrary precision numerical library like GNU Bignum in your program. Are you trying to get this to work in ordinary double precision floating point arithmetic?

good point, I guess I was a bit vague.
I am trying to calculate the incomplete-gamma function specifically for large arguments (around 50,000).
I am using as3 to program it, and there isn't any flexibility on the language.

onanox said:
I am trying to calculate the incomplete-gamma function specifically for large arguments (around 50,000).
I am using as3 to program it,

Well, at least the question isn't "How do I model nuclear reactions using my Excel spreadsheet?".

I did a Google search on the words: large values incomplete gamma function
I found this PDF which reports how it was coded in FORTRAN:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...p_msDQ&usg=AFQjCNGNyI6Ky4KtzwHvc-IgHDANnCXPmA

(See section D.)

One problem you are going to have is checking your routine. There is always the possibiity of typos in you coding or even in the printed matter you based the code upon.
It's handy to be able to compare your answers to output from a standard numerical library.

What is a transform to find the log of a series?

A transform to find the log of a series is a mathematical operation that converts a series of numbers into their corresponding logarithmic values. It is used to analyze and manipulate data in a more efficient and meaningful way.

Why is it important to find the log of a series?

Finding the log of a series is important because it can help simplify complex data and make it easier to interpret. It also allows for easier comparison between data points and can reveal patterns or trends within the series.

How do you perform a transform to find the log of a series?

To perform a transform to find the log of a series, you first need to take the natural log of each data point in the series. This can be done using a calculator or a computer program. Then, plot the new values on a graph to visualize the relationship between the data points.

What are the benefits of using a transform to find the log of a series?

One of the main benefits of using a transform to find the log of a series is that it can help reveal patterns or trends in the data that may not be easily visible otherwise. It also allows for easier comparison between data points and can simplify complex data.

Are there any limitations to using a transform to find the log of a series?

While finding the log of a series can be useful, it is important to keep in mind that it may not work for all types of data. Additionally, it may not be the most appropriate method for analyzing data in certain situations, so it is important to consider the context and purpose of the analysis before using this transform.