Spatial graphs and their chromatic number

• Thread starter jk22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, a spatial graph is a graph that can be constructed in Euclidean 3D space without any edge intersecting a face. The chromatic number for spatial graphs is 5, since K5 is spatial but not K6. However, it has not been proven that K6 cannot be constructed in this way. A face is defined as a surface whose boundary is a cycle, but the exact definition is unclear for cycles that are not coplanar. It is believed that the requirement for surfaces to not intersect each other may not be necessary if they do not intersect any edges, but this has not been formally proven. The definition of a spatial graph and the meaning of a face in this context are still unclear and need further clarification
jk22
Suppose a generalization of planar graph is considered into 3D space :

a graph is said "spatial" if it can be constructed in Euclidean 3D space in such a way that no edge intersects a face.

The questions are the following :

-as for plane graphs their chromatic number is 4, can we show that the chromatic number for spatial graphs is 5 since K5 is spatial but not K6. (Kn is the complete n-vertices graph)

-If we consider a further generalization, can it be shown that Kn is "constructible" in a n-2 dimensional space such that no edge intersects any n-1-hyperface, but not K(n+1) ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by a "face"?

Consider, for example, a 4-cycle where the vertices do not lie in a plane. What does it mean for an edge to intersect that face?

Is a face just the equivalent of a subset of the surface formed in n-dimensions?

For the 4-cycle, it's any surface whose boundary is that cycle.
The edges involved in defining the boundary can of course not intersect the surface, it would have been edges from other vertices.

I think I can add that : every cycle which has no sub-cycle spans such a surface which is called a face.

Last edited:
jk22 said:
For the 4-cycle, it's any surface whose boundary is that cycle.
The edges involved in defining the boundary can of course not intersect the surface, it would have been edges from other vertices.

I think I can add that : every cycle which has no sub-cycle spans such a surface which is called a face.
OK, in that case, please explain why you think K6 can't be embedded in 3-space in this way.

Simply because else you should have an edge that interesect one of the faces :

It simple to construct K5 in that way : take a tetrahedron and put a vertice in the center of it, then link to every vertex of the tetrahedron.

Note now that the interior of the tetrahedron is divided by the faces into 4 smaller tetrahedron.

If you try to build K6 either you put your vertex in one of these smaller tetrahedron, which makes the opposite vertex inaccessible (since a face cannot intersect with an edge), if you put your 6th vertice exterior to the bigger tetrahedron, then the inner 5th point can't be reached.

What is your precise definition of a face if your graph isn't planar to begin with?

jk22 said:
Simply because else you should have an edge that interesect one of the faces :

It simple to construct K5 in that way : take a tetrahedron and put a vertice in the center of it, then link to every vertex of the tetrahedron.

Note now that the interior of the tetrahedron is divided by the faces into 4 smaller tetrahedron.

If you try to build K6 either you put your vertex in one of these smaller tetrahedron, which makes the opposite vertex inaccessible (since a face cannot intersect with an edge), if you put your 6th vertice exterior to the bigger tetrahedron, then the inner 5th point can't be reached.
OK, so you have discovered a way to construct K6 that does not meet the requirements. But you have not proved that there is no way to construct K6 that meets the requirements.

EDIT: I should explain what problem you will encounter. If you try to formalize this argument into a proof, there will come a time when you have to say that if you take 4 vertices, connect them with edges, and then for every cycle, put a surface whose boundary is that cycle, then the resulting object has an inside and an outside. That is not clear to me.

In fact, I don't believe it is true.

Last edited:
eigenperson said:
OK, so you have discovered a way to construct K6 that does not meet the requirements. But you have not proved that there is no way to construct K6 that meets the requirements.

EDIT: I should explain what problem you will encounter. If you try to formalize this argument into a proof, there will come a time when you have to say that if you take 4 vertices, connect them with edges, and then for every cycle, put a surface whose boundary is that cycle, then the resulting object has an inside and an outside. That is not clear to me.

In fact, I don't believe it is true.

There's only four vertices, if it isn't true you should be able to construct a counterexample :tongue:. The inside is the convex hull of those vertices - they form a tetrahedron (unless they're coplanar).

Only if the surfaces are flat.

If two of the surfaces are cross-caps then you have a Klein bottle, and there is no longer an inside or outside.

The real question is whether this difficulty can be dismissed by insisting that the surfaces be non-self-intersecting.

I don't see really good in space what you mean, but Klein bottle has no boundary, however the cycle has to be the boundary of the surface.

If we take non minimal surfaces they shall not intersect edges, i think it's a sufficient condition in order to see topologically that one vertex in K5 is "locked in" ?

I don't think to add the condition the surfaces cannot intersect another surface is necessary if you ask they already don't intersect with edges, in order to see that K6 is not makeable.

But one thing is sure, I don't have the skills to formalize that. Already the definition of a spatial graph is not clear (maybe you have litterature advice on this)

Last edited:
I'm still not sure what the definition of a face is supposed to be if you have a cycle of more than three vertices which are not coplanar.

Mathematically I supposed this can be any smooth surface which has the edges as boundary (the edges can be curves), but there I'm maybe missing some points.

Physically one can imagine a soap film hanging at the edges, hence a minimal surface.

I think the problem arise because we are used to see faces as plane, but we could imagine any smooth deformation of them, as long as they don't intersect other edges.

1. What is a spatial graph?

A spatial graph is a mathematical representation of a network of objects or points in physical space. It is often used to model real-world systems such as transportation networks, social networks, or biological systems.

2. What is the chromatic number of a spatial graph?

The chromatic number of a spatial graph is the minimum number of colors needed to color each vertex (or point) of the graph in such a way that no two adjacent vertices have the same color. It is used to study the coloring properties of spatial graphs and is an important concept in graph theory.

3. How is the chromatic number of a spatial graph calculated?

The exact calculation of the chromatic number of a spatial graph is a difficult problem and is still an area of active research. However, there are some algorithms and heuristics that can be used to approximate the chromatic number of a spatial graph.

4. What are the applications of spatial graphs and their chromatic number?

Spatial graphs and their chromatic number have applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, biology, and social sciences. They are used to model and analyze real-world systems, optimize resource allocation, and understand the behavior of complex networks.

5. Can the chromatic number of a spatial graph change?

Yes, the chromatic number of a spatial graph can change depending on the properties of the graph. For example, adding or removing edges or vertices can change the chromatic number. In some cases, the chromatic number may remain the same, but in other cases, it may increase or decrease.