What are the characteristics of ideal electrical elements?

In summary: In general you cannot solve for V and I as functions of time for an arbitrary circuit. You don't need to solve them, though, to determine the equivalent impedance of a voltage or current source.In summary, the concept of ideal sources refers to a simplified model where the source impedance is assumed to be zero or infinite, depending on the type of source. The values for voltage and current are then calculated using simple equations, assuming linearity and a lack of resistance, inductance, and capacitance. However, in real situations, the source impedance may need to be taken into account in order to accurately analyze the circuit.
Jhenrique
A ideial voltage source has:
v = v
i = ?
R = 0
L = ?
C = ?

ideal current source:
v = ?
i = i
R = 0
L = ?
C = ?

ideal resistor:
v = R i
i = 1/R v
R = R
L = ?
C = ?

ideal inductor:
v = L i/t
i = 1/L vt
R = 0
L = L
C = ?

ideal capacitor:
v = 1/C it
i = C v/t
R = 0
L = ?
C = C

*assuming that v, i, R, L and C, varies linearly (just for simplify...).

I'd of know the values/definition for where I setted "?".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ideal voltage source: I = V/Z, L = 0, C = 0
Ideal current source: V = IZ, L = 0, C = 0
Ideal resistor: C = 0, L = 0
Ideal inductor: C = 0
Ideal capacitor: L = 0

The abundance of zeros is what makes these "ideal". Although ideal inductors and capacitors have zero resistance, they have nonzero impedance.

Likes 1 person
I would note that an ideal voltage source has zero impedance but the ideal current source has infinite impedance.

Likes 1 person
Thanks; it didn't occur to me to mention the impedance of sources.

EDIT: Also, the resistance of a current source is not necessarily zero. You can easily multiply the current by the voltage to obtain a real, nonzero resistance in a DC circuit.

Nick O said:
Thanks; it didn't occur to me to mention the impedance of sources.

Yeah, normally it doesn't come up but it can matter when you wish to find equivalent circuits or calculate time constants. I always had a few students every time who would forget about the source impedance when calculating an RC time constant.

Nick O said:
EDIT: Also, the resistance of a current source is not necessarily zero.

But an ideal current source has resistance zero, correct!?

No, an ideal current source has infinite resistance.

Likes 1 person
DaleSpam said:

Has more something wrong in my first post?

DaleSpam said:

Is that really an accurate representation when we define R = V/I? This is a genuine question from a student, not a challenge from an arrogant newbie.

Last edited:
Nick O said:
Is that really an accurate representation when we define R = V/I? This is a genuine question from a student, not a challenge from an arrogant newbie.
Yes, it is accurate, but you have to be a little smart about R.

That definition of R only applies for "Ohmic" situations. I.e. where the I-V curve is a straight line through the origin. In those situations the resistance is the inverse slope of that line. The only time a current source has an I-V curve through the origin is when I=0, and in that case the inverse slope is infinite.

If you have a "non-Ohmic" situation (i.e. the I-V curve is not a straight line through the origin) then you have to adjust your definition of resistance. Usually you would talk about the differential resistance: dV/dI, which is infinite for a current source.

A third way that you can talk about the impedance of a current source is by considering a Norton equivalent circuit which models a real current source as an ideal current source in parallel with a source resistance. The real source becomes closer and closer to an ideal source as the source resistance becomes infinite.

So whether you are talking about Ohmic resistance at I=0, or differential resistance, or Norton equivalent resistance, an ideal current source has infinite resistance.

The chordal resistance is not infinite for I≠0, but it also not well defined, so it is rarely discussed.

Thanks. The idea makes conceptual sense, and is clearly the assumption made in finding Norton equivalents. But the definition of resistance just suddenly came to mind when I made my second to last post.

My old physics book seems to be unorthodox in that it emphasizes that R=V/I is not "Ohm's Law" but rather a straightforward definition that is always true. The author used the term "Ohm's law" to refer to the observation that some materials have a linear I-V curve.

I've never personally heard an engineer or scientist use the term that way, so I may do well to forget it.

Nick O said:
My old physics book seems to be unorthodox in that it emphasizes that R=V/I is not "Ohm's Law" but rather a straightforward definition that is always true.
I don't think that is standard usage, at least not for active devices, however I haven't taken a survey or anything to find out.

When talking about real current sources the resistance of the source is an important performance characteristic that any owner's manual will mention. It refers to the Norton equivalent resistance. So this real current source has a resistance of 500 MΩ and using the same meaning an ideal current source has infinite resistance.

Last edited:
Nick O said:
Ideal voltage source: I = V/Z, L = 0, C = 0
Ideal current source: V = IZ, L = 0, C = 0
Ideal resistor: C = 0, L = 0
Ideal inductor: C = 0
Ideal capacitor: L = 0

Actually, the current of the ideal voltage source is not computed by:
8a89f7d3622fc859d3bc910a8691b9e9.png

and the voltage of the ideal current source is not computed by:
8383fa6312eb5e0b7befb1b4172ae749.png

?

*source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillators#Equivalent_systems

V=IZ is always true. You only use convoluted equations like those in systems where V and I vary with time and you cannot easily find a solution to V=IZ.

Most circuits are not harmonic oscillators, though.

What are ideal electrical elements?

Ideal electrical elements are theoretical components that are used to simplify the analysis of electrical circuits. They are assumed to have specific properties that make them easier to work with mathematically, but do not necessarily reflect the physical properties of real-world components.

What are the 5 ideal electrical elements?

The 5 ideal electrical elements are resistors, capacitors, inductors, voltage sources, and current sources. These elements are used to represent the different behaviors and properties of electrical circuits.

What is the difference between an ideal and a non-ideal electrical element?

An ideal electrical element is assumed to have no internal resistance, no leakage or loss, and no frequency-dependent behavior. In contrast, a non-ideal electrical element may have some or all of these characteristics, which can affect the overall behavior of a circuit.

Can ideal electrical elements exist in the real world?

No, ideal electrical elements are purely theoretical and cannot exist in the physical world. However, they can be used as a tool to simplify the analysis and design of electrical circuits.

How are ideal electrical elements represented in circuit diagrams?

Ideal electrical elements are represented with specific symbols in circuit diagrams. For example, a resistor is represented by a zigzag line, a capacitor is represented by two parallel lines, and an inductor is represented by a coiled wire. These symbols help to identify and differentiate between the different elements in a circuit.