Complex analysis harmonic function

In summary: Maybe you could elaborate on why it is intuitively clear that u is not the real part of an analytic function.I think people would intuitively know if a function is the real part of an analytic function just by looking at the function itself. If you take the real part of u(x,y), you would get x^3 + y. However, if you take the imaginary part of u(x,y), you would get -x^3 + y. This shows that u is not the real part of an analytic function.
Daveyboy
I seem to be missing a subtlety of the definition of a harmonic function. I'm using Churchill and Brown. As stated in the book, an analytic function in domain D with component functions (i.e. real and imaginary parts) u(x,y) and v(x,y) are harmonic in D.

harmonic functions satisfy uxx+uyy=0

Consider u=x3 +y

then uxx+uyy gives 6x+0 [tex]\neq[/tex] 0

but this is analytic in some domain D.

So what am I missing here, why does this not satisfy the conditions to be a harmonic function?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you claim it's analytic if it doesn't satisfy Laplace's Equation? The fact that u is not harmonic should imply that u(x,y) = x^3 + y is not the real part of any analytic function, no?

I claim it's analytic because it is differentiable in some domain D. Which it clearly is, it's just a polynomial which is differentiable.

As a real function of two variables, u is analytic. As the real part of a complex function, it is not.

hm... can you say why it is not intuitively without saying "it does not satidfy la place's eqn?

Solved, found someone from my class, Cauchy-Riemann equations do not hold.

Note that the analyticity referred to in complex analysis is the analyticity of the complex function, f(z). It doesn't refer to the "real function" analyticity of u or v.

If f(z) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) is an analytic function, then u and v must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which in turn imply they must each satisfy the 2d Laplace Equation.

I can't immediately think of any "intuitive" way to look at some arbitrary u(x,y) and deduce it is not the real part of an analytic function without just doing the check to see if it satisfies Laplace's equation.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions defined on complex numbers. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a complex-valued function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which states that the sum of the second-order partial derivatives of the function with respect to its variables is equal to zero. In other words, a harmonic function is a function that is "smooth" and "well-behaved" in the sense that it does not have any sudden changes or discontinuities.

3. What are the applications of complex analysis and harmonic functions?

Complex analysis and harmonic functions have numerous applications in various fields, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of differential equations, which are essential in many areas of science and engineering.

4. How are complex analysis and harmonic functions related?

Complex analysis and harmonic functions are closely related, as every harmonic function can be represented as a combination of complex-valued functions. In fact, harmonic functions can be seen as the real part of a holomorphic function, which is a complex function that is differentiable at every point in its domain.

5. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis for solving problems related to harmonic functions?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis for solving problems related to harmonic functions include the use of Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the maximum modulus principle. Other techniques include the use of power series, conformal mappings, and the method of images.