Lens to lens distance is not 2f in "4f system"

In summary, the conversation discussed the 4f system, which is an optical filtering system. The configuration in the attached file showed that the distance between L1 and L2 should not affect the image at P3 as long as the distance between L1 and P2 is 'f'. The differences between two configurations, 1) and 2), were also discussed. Configuration 2) was said to work as long as L2 is seeing Fraunhofer diffraction and the lens is collecting enough light to form an image at P3. The speaker mentioned using a small CCD camera at P3 for this purpose.
lioiviei14
Dear,
I studied 4f system and I've got a question.
As far as I know, 4f system is optical filtering system (attached file).

In the configuration in the attached file, region between L1~L2 is infinity optics(ray components from P1 is parallel with each other) so that distance between L1~L2 shouldn't affect the image at P3 as far as the distance between L1~P2 is 'f', in my guess.

Am I correct? Is there any difference between "1), 2)" below?

1) P1~L1=f, L1~P2=f, P2~L2=f, L2~P3=f (standard 4f system)
2) P1~L1=f, L1~P2=f, P2~L2=not f, L2~P3=f

Thank you in advance.

Sungsik.

Attachments

• 108201_1_4.jpg
    108201_1_4.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,481
Science news on Phys.org
Configuration (2) will work as long as L2 is seeing Fraunhofer diffraction, and the lens is collecting sufficient light to form an image at P3.

I usually use a small CCD camera at P3, with the optics removed. The final distance is then adjusted so that the image fills the CCD chip. Then the position of the L2/P3 are jiggled a bit to bring the image into focus.

1. What is the "4f system" in regards to lens to lens distance?

The "4f system" refers to an optical system where there are four focal lengths (f) between the two lenses. This means that there are two lenses, with a distance of 2f between them.

2. Why is the lens to lens distance not always 2f in a "4f system"?

The lens to lens distance in a "4f system" may not always be exactly 2f due to factors such as lens thickness, refractive index, and lens positioning. These can affect the focal length and therefore the overall distance between the lenses.

3. How does the lens to lens distance affect the performance of the "4f system"?

The lens to lens distance plays a crucial role in the performance of the "4f system" as it determines the overall magnification and image quality. If the distance is not 2f, it can lead to distortion, aberrations, and other optical issues.

4. Can the lens to lens distance be adjusted in a "4f system"?

Yes, the lens to lens distance can be adjusted in a "4f system" by changing the positioning or spacing between the lenses. This can be done manually or with the use of specialized equipment such as lens mounts or stages.

5. Are there any benefits to having a lens to lens distance that is not 2f in a "4f system"?

In some cases, having a lens to lens distance that is not 2f can be beneficial. For example, it can be used to create a specific magnification or focal length, or to correct for optical aberrations. However, a non-2f distance should be carefully calibrated and tested to ensure optimal performance of the "4f system".