Register to reply

Error uncertainty for power law

by johnnnnyyy
Tags: error, power, uncertainty
Share this thread:
johnnnnyyy
Jan17-14, 08:50 PM
P: 16
So I have a series of 5 data points lets say that they are (1,1),(2,3),(3,4),(4,4.5),(5,4.75) that create a power function that has the equation y=1.2x^.97. Lets also say that the error uncertainty for every number is 0.1. I know that for a linear line you can take the uncertainty of the slope by finding the largest possible slope and the smallest possible slope but how would you do it for a power function?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Simon Bridge
Jan17-14, 10:10 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,447
What do you want to find the uncertainty of?

Guessing:

For data suspected to be of form ##y=ax^b## ... where a and b are to be found...
notice that: ##\log(y)=\log(a)+b\log(x)##

... a plot of log(y) vs log(x) should yield a line with slope b and intercept log(a).
Find the uncertainties normally ... make sure your errorbars are correct, they are no longer symmetric.

There are also more rigorous statistical approaches to getting uncertainties in the parameters of a regressed curve but I'm guessing you don't need to go that far.

Register to reply