A problem with evaluating an integral

• Thread starter mahmoud2011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of a function over a closed interval using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The given function is not continuous in one point, but this does not affect the integral since it is still integrable. The textbook being used does not introduce integrals using upper and lower Darboux sums, but rather by approximating rectangles. The solution is justified by using the FTC and showing that the given function has the same integral over the interval [0,pi/2]. The textbook has not yet mentioned this problem, but it can be found in other advanced calculus books. The proof for the existence of partitions is also discussed, with the final justification being that the given function is integrable and therefore there must
mahmoud2011
[itex]\int^{\pi}_{0} f(x) dx[/itex] where ,

f(x) = sin x if [itex]0 \leq x < \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
and f(x) = cos(x) if [itex]\frac{\pi}{2} \leq x \leq \pi[/itex]

The problem is that the version I am using of Fundamental theorem is if f is continuous on some closed interval , I wrote the integral as

[itex]\int^{\pi / 2}_{0} f(x) dx + \int^{\pi}_{\pi /2} f(x) dx[/itex]

but I have in the first integral f still is not continuous on [itex][0,\pi/2][/itex]

I tried to open some references and reached another version for the theorem there f is integrable on f , and g' =f , but I couldn't do any thing

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mahmoud2011 said:
but I have in the first integral f still is not continuous on [itex][0,\pi/2][/itex]
That's no problem. This integral is the same as the integral of sin x over all of [0,pi/2], since the two functions are equal except in a single point. And if you change an integrable function in a single point (or finitely many points) then the function is still integrable with the same integral. This can be seen by using upper and lower sums.

The problem is that the textbook I am using doesn't introduce the integrals by first introducing the upper Darboux sums and the lower Darboux sum , it uses another approach which introduce the area as the limit of sums of approximating rectangles.

Thanks , Now I am reading in another textbook Which deals with this point precisely .

Erland said:
That's no problem. This integral is the same as the integral of sin x over all of [0,pi/2], since the two functions are equal except in a single point. And if you change an integrable function in a single point (or finitely many points) then the function is still integrable with the same integral. This can be seen by using upper and lower sums.
now I justified my solution as following , the first definite integral exist because f is integrable on [0,pi] (since it is piece-wise continuous ) , now since f is a function on [0,pi\2] where f= sin (x) ,0 ≤x≤ pi/2 , except at pi/2 , their definite integral is the same and then we can use the FTC , or I can use the version of the theorem which apply to any integrable function which is not necessary continuous we know that f is integrable on [0,pi/2] so we want to find a continuous function g such that g' = f on (0,pi/2) and g is continuous on [0,pi/2] so we see that this is g is sin (x) , ( I think all of this will be easy in practice ) , but what I am wandering of is why this is an exercise in my text-book , although it doesn't concentrate at this point yet .

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, use FTC to sin x over [0,pi/2] and observe that the given function has the same integral over this interval since it differs only at one point.

I think your textbook should have mentioned thia problem,

Erland said:
Yes, use FTC to sin x over [0,pi/2] and observe that the given function has the same integral over this interval since it differs only at one point.

I think your textbook should have mentioned thia problem,
no , it hasn't mentioned it yet , it uses a definition of integral which depends on dividing the interval into sub intervals equal in length , so I began to read a bout the theory of integral in Advanced Calculus by agnus Taylor is this good for me .

Last edited:
So after I have read Integration it some Advanced Calculus books , I had only one question to ask , this only to confidence myself with only a part of of a proof ( you Know that the proof in Advanced books depend leaving details for you ) , it wrote that if f is integrable , then there exist partitions P' and P'' , such that given ε >0
U(f,P') < U(f) + ε/2 and L(f,P'') > L(f) -ε/2

Here I began to justify this to my self as following , I would only now justify the first the second one is similar , we will assume it is not true, then we have

U(f,P') ≥ U(f) + ε/2 > U(f)

and this contradicts that U(f) is the grates lower bound of of all Darboux sums
But I see that this justification is not good at all because of there is P' such that U(f,P') = U(f) + ε/2 , so I began to make another one which I see is a better one assume that
U(f,P') > U(f) + ε/4 , then this gives a contradiction , so We have

U(f,P') ≤ U(f) + ε/4
and since ε/4 < ε/2
so we have U(f,P') ≤ U(f) + ε/4 < U(f) + ε/2

Is all of What I have said is true or not

Thanks

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to solve problems related to finding the total value or accumulation of a quantity over a certain range.

2. Why is evaluating an integral important?

Evaluating an integral is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It helps us find the exact value of a quantity rather than just an approximation.

3. What is a problem with evaluating an integral?

A common problem with evaluating an integral is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, and it can be challenging to solve integrals involving complicated functions or variables.

4. How can I improve my skills in evaluating integrals?

To improve your skills in evaluating integrals, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and practice solving various types of integrals. You can also use online resources, textbooks, and seek help from a tutor or teacher to enhance your understanding and problem-solving abilities.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the process of evaluating an integral?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help simplify the process of evaluating an integral. These include using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions, breaking down complex integrals into smaller, simpler ones, and practicing with a variety of examples to improve your familiarity and speed in solving integrals.