Piecewise function - create function from graph

In summary, the function for the third domain is -t, but 4-4t is the correct equation for when the function is applied outside of the domain.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

Hope I named the problem accurately.

I'm trying to calculate the average value, and the RMS value of this voltage.

I5imz.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been given the graph, and I know how to calculate average and RMS. That's not the problem.

What I am wondering, is if my suggested functions are correct.

I have actually solved this before, but that was a year ago, and when I revisit it now, I am not 100% sure.

-t?
4-4t?
1-t?

Because I was told back then, I believe, that the function for the third domain, which I write is "-t", should be "4-4t" or something similar.

Can somebody explain to me why -t does not work, and why 4-4t works? I can see that if I continue that line from 4, past 3, and towards 0, it hits u=4. And since I want it to hit the t-line at t=4...

I kinda get it, but.. Still seems weird to me! I could nod in agreement if I saw 1-t as well.

Can somebody help me make sense of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrOnline said:

Homework Statement

Hope I named the problem accurately.

I'm trying to calculate the average value, and the RMS value of this voltage.

I5imz.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been given the graph, and I know how to calculate average and RMS. That's not the problem.

What I am wondering, is if my suggested functions are correct.

I have actually solved this before, but that was a year ago, and when I revisit it now, I am not 100% sure.

-t?
4-4t?
1-t?

Because I was told back then, I believe, that the function for the third domain, which I write is "-t", should be "4-4t" or something similar.

Can somebody explain to me why -t does not work, and why 4-4t works? I can see that if I continue that line from 4, past 3, and towards 0, it hits u=4. And since I want it to hit the t-line at t=4...

I kinda get it, but.. Still seems weird to me! I could nod in agreement if I saw 1-t as well.

Can somebody help me make sense of this?

Do not "guess"---reason it out! Your u(t) is OK for t ≤ 3. What should it be for t between 3 and 4? Well, it should be linear, dropping from u(3) = 1 to u(4) = 0. So, what would be the equation of a line through (3,1) and (4,0)?

RGV

I was banking heavily on guesswork, to be honest. ;)

Right. Well I did write -t. From the starting position of the third domain, (1,0), it goes to (0,1), from the perspective of that specific domain! Add one t, drop one u..

But I'm going with 4-4t, because that makes the function valid outside of the domain too.

Honestly, I just don't know for sure. It's not like I am desperate for somebody to solve my work here, I have enough done to hand this in, but I need to know how to think, for the future. I was wondering if somebody can explain the reasoning to me.

Does the function for each domain have to pass through the exact values of the domain, even if applied outside of the domain? If so, 4-4t.

I'm going with 4-4t, Mr. Vickson, is that good?

DrOnline said:
I was banking heavily on guesswork, to be honest. ;)

Right. Well I did write -t. From the starting position of the third domain, (1,0), it goes to (0,1), from the perspective of that specific domain! Add one t, drop one u..

But I'm going with 4-4t, because that makes the function valid outside of the domain too.

Honestly, I just don't know for sure. It's not like I am desperate for somebody to solve my work here, I have enough done to hand this in, but I need to know how to think, for the future. I was wondering if somebody can explain the reasoning to me.

Does the function for each domain have to pass through the exact values of the domain, even if applied outside of the domain? If so, 4-4t.

I'm going with 4-4t, Mr. Vickson, is that good?

You are are asking the wrong person: you should ask *yourself*. If you use u(t) = 4 - 4t, do you get u = 1 at t = 3? Do you get u = 0 at t = 4?

RGV

Thanks. Well I reached the conclusion the right function was 4-t.

f(3) = 4-3 = 1
f(4) = 4-4 = 0

I don't rightly know why I was having so much problems with this, seems straight forward now.

Appreciate your help!

DrOnline said:
Thanks. Well I reached the conclusion the right function was 4-t.

f(3) = 4-3 = 1
f(4) = 4-4 = 0

I don't rightly know why I was having so much problems with this, seems straight forward now.

Appreciate your help!
If the function is extended "backwards" to -4 ≤ t ≤ 0, then the third piece of that is f(t) = -t for -1 ≤ t ≤ 0 .

Right. I understand. But what is your point? Sounds a bit dismissive, but what are you getting at?

DrOnline said:
Right. I understand. But what is your point? Sounds a bit dismissive, but what are you getting at?

I didn't mean to be dismissive.

What meant by my previous post was you weren't that far off base when you initially used f(t) = -t for the third "piece" of you function.

SammyS said:
I didn't mean to be dismissive.

What meant by my previous post was you weren't that far off base when you initially used f(t) = -t for the third "piece" of you function.

Oh, I meant was that perhaps what *I* write sounded dismissive, "But what is your point?". Hehe, misunderstanding.

Yes, I wasn't far off base, what I did was move the third part of the function to instead of go from t = 3 to 4, to t = 0 to 1, but I didn't realize that would cause problems with the definite integral.

Or indeed, just by testing f(t) = -t, input 3 or 4, I see now that it doesn't match the actual curve! I just lacked training.

I get it now. I just needed help to clear my mind or get some input on how to break this down, wouldn't want to mess up on something basic like this on the exams. My average and RMS calculations went fine.

1. How do I create a piecewise function from a graph?

In order to create a piecewise function from a graph, you first need to identify the different intervals or segments of the graph and their corresponding equations. Then, you can write a piecewise function by using the equations for each interval and specifying the domain for each equation.

2. Can a piecewise function have more than two intervals?

Yes, a piecewise function can have any number of intervals, depending on the complexity of the graph. Each interval must have its own equation and domain specified in the function.

3. What is the purpose of using a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is used to represent a mathematical relationship that changes over different intervals or segments. This allows for a more accurate and specific representation of a graph or situation.

4. How do you determine the domain of a piecewise function?

The domain of a piecewise function is determined by the combination of the domains of each individual equation within the function. It is important to consider any restrictions or excluded values for each interval when determining the overall domain of the function.

5. Can a piecewise function be continuous?

Yes, a piecewise function can be continuous if the equations for each interval are continuous and there are no gaps or breaks in the graph. However, a piecewise function can also be discontinuous if there are discontinuities at the endpoints of each interval or if the equations are not continuous.