Applied Spectral Theory: Deriving Math Techniques in EE/Physics

In summary: I'm sure any of the books mentioned (or others) would be helpful to thegreenlaser.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spectral theorem(s) in deriving mathematical techniques used in electrical engineering and physics, such as Fourier series, Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms, Green's functions, Sturm-Liouville problem solution method, and Dirac notation in quantum mechanics. The participants suggest books like "Advanced Calculus: Theory and Practice" by Friedman and "Boundary Value Problems of Mathematical Physics" by Stakgold as resources for understanding and applying the spectral theorem. Thegreenlaser expresses interest in these books and plans to check them out from their university library.
thegreenlaser
I'd like to see if/how the spectral theorem(s) can be used to derive a range of mathematical techniques used in electrical engineering/physics:
  • (Generalized) Fourier series
  • Fourier transforms
  • Laplace transforms
  • Green's functions
  • Sturm-Liouville problem solution method
  • Dirac notation QM
  • etc.

Are there any books that go through this sort of thing? I've read Kreyszig's functional analysis book, which gave me a decent introduction to the subject, but I felt like it wasn't quite deep enough. I still can't fully see how to get from the spectral theorem to all the things I listed above. Any help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Not really, unfortunately. I'm still looking for books which show me how to use the spectral theorem to solve problems. Some do it for compact and compact resolvent operators, but I'm more interested in operators which have a non-empty continuous spectrum.

Daverz said:

I have read most of this book and worked ~1/3 of the exercises, and agree that it is pretty good. It does derive Fourier and Laplace transforms from sturm-liouville problems with continuous spectra. The book is worth a look but I think it is somewhat dated, and uses some less common conventions. A more modern approach is by Stakgold,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471610224/?tag=pfamazon01-20
which is also worth a look. I'm guessing personal preference would dictate which one a given person would prefer. I went with Friedman because it was shorter so would require less investment of time to work through linearly (edit: Stakgold is also at a slightly higher level, so Friedman was a little easier to dip into on my free time).

Hopefully thegreenlaser has access to a library to check these out, although used copies of both can be found for little money. Good luck!

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! My university library has both of those books, so I'll check them out in the next little while.

jasonRF said:
I have read most of this book and worked ~1/3 of the exercises, and agree that it is pretty good. It does derive Fourier and Laplace transforms from sturm-liouville problems with continuous spectra. The book is worth a look but I think it is somewhat dated, and uses some less common conventions. A more modern approach is by Stakgold,

Thanks for the comment. I chose the Friedman book based mostly on price and easy availability.

What is applied spectral theory?

Applied spectral theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the application of spectral theory to real-world problems in electrical engineering and physics. It involves the study of the properties of operators on vector spaces and their corresponding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

What are some examples of applications of spectral theory in EE/Physics?

Spectral theory has a wide range of applications in EE/Physics, such as signal processing, control theory, quantum mechanics, and optics. It can be used to analyze and design filters, study the behavior of physical systems, and understand the properties of electromagnetic waves, among others.

How is spectral theory used in solving mathematical problems in EE/Physics?

Spectral theory provides a powerful tool for solving mathematical problems in EE/Physics. It allows us to decompose a complex system or function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand. By studying the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of an operator, we can obtain useful information about the behavior of a system.

What are some common mathematical techniques derived from spectral theory?

Some common mathematical techniques derived from spectral theory include Fourier analysis, Laplace transforms, and eigenvalue problems. These techniques are widely used in EE/Physics to solve differential equations, perform signal analysis, and analyze the behavior of systems.

What are the benefits of studying applied spectral theory?

Studying applied spectral theory can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles behind many mathematical techniques used in EE/Physics. It also enables us to solve complex problems more efficiently and effectively by breaking them down into simpler components. Additionally, it has practical applications in various fields, making it a valuable area of study for scientists and engineers.