Radial Plots and Smooth Density Plots

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create plots similar to the ones attached, with the request for recommendations on suitable software. The desired features include the ability to create radial/polar diagrams with marked angles and distances, as well as smooth density profiles. The options suggested include Matplotlib, Seaborn, ggplot2, and MATLAB, as well as online software like Plotly and Chartio.
n1person
Hello,

I am interested in making plots similar to those attached (I have my own date :P). Any recommendations on what software to use? I suppose there are two things I would like it to do (although either one alone would be nice):

1. Create nice radial/polar diagrams with the angles and distances marked nicely.
2. Create a smooth (colored?) density profile, extrapolating from a relatively small finite sample.

I frequently use gnuplot, but I cannot find any way of doing anything like this. Also I tried using matplotlib (python stuff) but, similarly, there is no easy/apparent way of doing it :(

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 10.34.40 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 10.34.40 AM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 442
  • Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 10.34.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 10.34.27 AM.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few options you can use to generate the types of plots you are looking for. For radial/polar diagrams, you can use Matplotlib or Seaborn in Python, or MATLAB. For density plots, you can use Seaborn or ggplot2 in R, or MATLAB. You can also use online software like Plotly or Chartio to generate your plots. Hope this helps!

1. What are radial plots and smooth density plots?

Radial plots and smooth density plots are two types of data visualization techniques commonly used in scientific research. They represent data in a circular or curved format, making it easier to identify patterns and trends in the data.

2. What is the difference between radial plots and smooth density plots?

Radial plots show data in a circular format, with each data point represented by a bar or line extending from the center of the circle. Smooth density plots, on the other hand, use a curved line to represent the distribution of data. This allows for a more continuous representation of the data.

3. When should I use radial plots and when should I use smooth density plots?

Radial plots are useful for visualizing data with a cyclical or periodic nature, such as daily or seasonal patterns. Smooth density plots, on the other hand, are better suited for displaying continuous data, such as population growth or temperature changes over time.

4. How do I interpret radial plots and smooth density plots?

In both types of plots, the length or height of the bars or lines represents the magnitude of the data. The position of the bars or lines on the circle or curve indicates the value of the data at a specific point. Density plots also show the distribution of the data, with higher peaks indicating a higher concentration of data points.

5. Can I customize the appearance of radial plots and smooth density plots?

Yes, both types of plots can be customized in terms of colors, line thickness, and other visual elements. Many software programs and coding libraries offer options for customizing these types of plots to fit your specific needs.