Talking to professor about auditing course

In summary: Just out of curiousity, where are you in your math studies? Quantum Mechanics requires a lot of advanced level math to understand properly. Might I recommend studying math (Calculus at least, possibly differential equations) for the rest of the break.
romsofia
Tomorrow I have to talk to the professor of the course to audit the course. Is there a possibility that he'll test me on my knowledge? I was planning on studying over my break on my weak points for the course, but now I'm thinking I should be studying tonight and a little before I talk to him tomorrow.

So mainly I am asking, Will he test me or will we just talk about why I am auditing?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the most part, professors don't put students on the spot like that. He'll probably talk to you about your background, ask why you're interested in the course, and why you're auditing instead of enrolling properly. In my experience, though, professors generally treat you like adults if you show some self-motivation, so you're unlikely to have problems.

Just curious, though, what is the course and why are you just auditing instead of actually taking the class?

For the most part, professors don't put students on the spot like that. He'll probably talk to you about your background, ask why you're interested in the course, and why you're auditing instead of enrolling properly. In my experience, though, professors generally treat you like adults if you show some self-motivation, so you're unlikely to have problems.

Just curious, though, what is the course and why are you just auditing instead of actually taking the class?

Chaostamer said:

The reason I'm auditing is because I'm still in high school (Junior), and I needed to have applied to college with all these forms by a certain date and I didn't have enough time to get it signed by everyone it needed to be signed by.

I know this going to sound stupid given my age and all but the courses I'm auditing is Quantum Mechanics :x

Thanks for your reply, I think I can relax a bit now ^^.

Oh wow. I think that's awesome to expose yourself to that level of material so early. It can be pretty fulfilling to learn what advanced courses in your area of interest are like. Best of luck to you tomorrow. It'll probably go fine, but be sure to post an update when you're done.

Chaostamer said:
Oh wow. I think that's awesome to expose yourself to that level of material so early. It can be pretty fulfilling to learn what advanced courses in your area of interest are like. Best of luck to you tomorrow. It'll probably go fine, but be sure to post an update when you're done.

Yeah, I'll be sure to post an update. Hopefully it goes well ^^. Thanks for easing my mind a little.

Well here's the update, he is letting my audit the course :D.

romsofia, are you in the US? Is it normal you have to ask to audit a course at a university there? I mean, it kind of makes sense for really small classes, where the professor probably gets to know everyone attending at least to a point he'd recognize them if they met outside of the classroom setting.

Ryker said:
romsofia, are you in the US? Is it normal you have to ask to audit a course at a university there? I mean, it kind of makes sense for really small classes, where the professor probably gets to know everyone attending at least to a point he'd recognize them if they met outside of the classroom setting.

Yeah I'm in the US, and I don't know if it's normal :x but I do know that only 12 kids have signed up for the class so far.

Then you definitely made the right choice in asking the professor, I'm sure this will leave a good impression. Good luck with the course.

Ryker said:
Then you definitely made the right choice in asking the professor, I'm sure this will leave a good impression. Good luck with the course.

Congrats! I'm waiting on an email from a professor about auditing a Differential Equations course. I have actually had the professor before and he said he didn't mind but he needs to run it by some people first.

Just out of curiousity, where are you in your math studies? Quantum Mechanics requires a lot of advanced level math to understand properly. Might I recommend studying math (Calculus at least, possibly differential equations) for the rest of the break.

FAQ: Talking to professor about auditing course

1) How do I approach a professor about auditing their course?

It is best to approach a professor in person during their office hours or through email. Be sure to introduce yourself and explain your interest in auditing their course.

2) Can I audit a course for credit?

Auditing a course typically does not grant credit, but rather allows you to attend lectures and participate in discussions without completing assignments or taking exams.

3) Do I need the professor's permission to audit a course?

Yes, it is important to obtain the professor's permission before auditing their course. They may have specific guidelines or restrictions for auditors.

4) Are there any fees associated with auditing a course?

Some universities may charge a fee for auditing a course, so it is best to check with your school's policies. However, if you are not seeking credit, the fee is typically lower than enrolling as a fully-registered student.

5) Will I have access to course materials as an auditor?

This may vary depending on the professor's policies. Some may allow auditors to access course materials, while others may require you to purchase textbooks or materials separately.