Is there a faster way to do this?

• Thread starter e12514
  • Start date
In summary, Z/p [x] is a field consisting of polynomials in x with coefficients in a field Z/p. The ideal I in Z/p [x] is generated by an irreducible polynomial i(x) of degree 3 in Z/p [x]. The factor (Z/p [x])/I = (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> is a field, as shown by the fact that I is a maximal ideal in the principal ideal domain (Z/p)[x]. Therefore, every nonzero element in (Z/p)[x]/<i(x)> is invertible, making it a division ring. This can be verified by finding the inverse of any polynomial f(x) in Z/p[x] mod <i(x
e12514
Z/p [x] consists of polynomials in x with coefficients in a field Z/p.
I is an ideal of Z/p [x] generated by some irreducible polynomial i(x) in Z/p [x]
(let's say I is generated by an irreducible polynomial i(x) of degree 3 in Z/p [x])

The factor (or quotient)
(Z/p [x])/I = (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> is a field.
To verify that it is,
* (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> is commutative because Z/p [x] is. (ok)
* i(x) is irreducible so (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> has no divisors of zero. (ok)
* (Z/p [x])/<i(x)> needs to be a division ring, that is, every nonzero element needs to be invertible. (needs to be verified)

My (tedious) method is,
WLOG let f(x) = x^2 + ax + b be a polynomial in Z/p [x]
need to find some iverse of f(x) (call it g(x)) in Z/p [x] such that
(f(x).g(x)) + <i(x)> = 1 + <i(x)>

which can be done by multiplying out f(x).g(x) and then dividing by i(x) to get the remainder (very long) which would be of degree 2 (one less than deg(i(x)) )
and then solving the coefficient of x^2 and x to be congruent to 0 mod p
and the constant term to be congruent to 1 mod p
(three equations and three unkowns)

and not only does that take very long, if p is not small then in the end I often end up making a mistake somewhere so my calculated "inverse" of f(x) is incorrect
(end up having f(x).g(x) + <i(x)> different to 1 + <i(x)> )

Is there a better/cleaner/easier/more efficient way to do these sorts of things rather than having to go through all that mess?
(Can take p to be a specific prime, say p=5, or 7, or whatever.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Z/p is a field, so (Z/p)[x] is a principal ideal domain. If i(x) is irreducible over Z/p, then <i(x)> is a prime ideal and consequently (because we're in a PID) a maximal ideal. And what happens when you mod out by a maximal ideal?

Then the factor is a field! Yay, fantastic! Thanks!
This shows that I need to do a lot of extra reading on stuff that is not taught in order to fully understand the material.. I've never heard of a pid before, unless it's lying on some fresh page that I've never looked at in our notes, or it's not covered at my level - first course in abstract algebra... (I had to look up maximal and prime ideals too...)

1. Is there a faster way to do this?

This question is commonly asked when individuals are looking for a more efficient or quicker method to complete a task. The answer depends on the specific task and its requirements, but there may be alternative methods or technologies that can speed up the process.

2. How can I improve the speed of this process?

Sometimes, individuals may be satisfied with their current method but are looking for ways to make it faster. This question is similar to the first one, and the answer may involve optimizing current processes, using new technologies, or reevaluating the task's requirements.

3. Are there any tools or software that can help with speeding up this task?

In today's digital age, there are constantly new tools and software being developed to improve efficiency and speed in various tasks. It's always worth researching and exploring different options to see if there are any tools that can help with your specific task.

4. Has anyone else found a faster way to do this?

Collaboration and knowledge sharing are essential in the scientific community. If you come across a task that seems to be time-consuming or tedious, it's worth reaching out to colleagues or doing some research to see if others have found a faster way to complete it.

5. How can I reduce the time it takes to complete this experiment/research?

For scientists conducting experiments or research, time is often of the essence. If you are looking to speed up the process, consider streamlining protocols, using technology or automation, or seeking the help of a team to divide and conquer the workload.