Two objects, one accelerating downwards onto another

• Thread starter Illuminist14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accelerating
In summary, the object accelerating downward exerts less force on the part below due to Newton's 3rd law. If the retarding force were greater, the object would have less downward acceleration and there could potentially be arrest. The specifics of the force depend on the speed at which the object stops.
Illuminist14
The object accelerating downward exerts less force on the part below than if it were being held in place, But this is a reflexive situation: the lower section exerts less retarding force on the descending object - Newton's 3rd law. If the retarding force were greater, the object would have less downward acceleration and, if the force were great enough for long enough time, there could be arrest.

I wanted to know if I had this right? I think it is correct from what I have tried to research.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BUMP please...anyone?

There isn't enough information to answer your question. What the force would be depends upon how fast the dropped object takes to stop.

Illuminist14 said:
The object accelerating downward exerts less force on the part below than if it were being held in place, But this is a reflexive situation: the lower section exerts less retarding force on the descending object - Newton's 3rd law. If the retarding force were greater, the object would have less downward acceleration and, if the force were great enough for long enough time, there could be arrest.

I wanted to know if I had this right? I think it is correct from what I have tried to research.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

Your previous thread about this was locked. Do not re-post a locked thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=569058

Yes, your understanding is correct. According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this scenario, the object accelerating downward is exerting a force on the lower section, and in turn, the lower section is exerting a force back on the descending object. However, this force is less than if the lower section were holding the object in place. This is because the lower section is also experiencing a downward acceleration and therefore has less ability to exert a force on the descending object. If the retarding force were greater, the object's downward acceleration would decrease, and eventually, if the force were strong enough for a long enough time, the object's downward motion could be stopped (arrested). This is an important principle to understand in physics and can be applied to many real-world situations involving objects in motion.

Related to Two objects, one accelerating downwards onto another

What is the concept of "Two objects, one accelerating downwards onto another"?

The concept refers to a situation where two objects are in motion, with one object accelerating downwards towards the other object.

What factors affect the acceleration of the two objects?

The acceleration of the two objects is affected by the mass of each object and the force acting between them.

How do you calculate the acceleration of the two objects?

The acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass of the object.

What happens when the two objects have equal mass and are accelerating towards each other?

If the two objects have equal mass, they will experience equal and opposite forces, resulting in a net force of zero and no overall acceleration.

What is the significance of studying this concept in science?

Studying this concept allows us to understand the principles of motion and forces in physics, which can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as collisions, gravitational interactions, and more.