Understanding the Lemma for L'Hospital's Rule: Analyzing the Proof

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a lemma that is used to prove L'Hospital's rule. The proof of the lemma involves setting η as [f(z) - f(z0)]/(z-z0) - f'(z0) and showing that lim (z ~> z0) of η is equal to 0, which proves the lemma. The confusion arose from a typo where f(z) = f(z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) was mistakenly written as f(z) = η(z-z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) + f(z0). However, it was clarified that it should be f(z) = f(z0) + f'(
demonelite123
Suppose f(z) is analytic in a region R including the point z0. Prove that f(z) = f(z0) + f'(z0)(z-z0) + η(z-z0) where η ~> 0 as z ~> z0.

this is actually a lemma my book proves first before actually proving L'Hospital's rule. I understood how they used the lemma to prove the rule but i don't really understand the logic in proving this lemma. my book did:

Let [f(z) - f(z0)]/(z-z0) - f'(z0) = η so that f(z) = f(z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) = η(z-z0).
Then, since f(z) is analytic at z0, we have as required:
lim (z ~> z0) of η = lim (z ~> z0) of [f(z) - f(z0)]/(z-z0) - f'(z0) = f'(z0) - f'(z0) = 0.

i don't understand how f(z) = f(z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) = η(z-z0). shouldn't it be f(z) = η(z-z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) + f(z0) since they let [f(z) - f(z0)]/(z-z0) - f'(z0) = η?

Physics news on Phys.org
demonelite123 said:
i don't understand how f(z) = f(z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) = η(z-z0). shouldn't it be f(z) = η(z-z0) + f'(z0)(z - z0) + f(z0) since they let [f(z) - f(z0)]/(z-z0) - f'(z0) = η?

Hi demonelite123! :smile:

It's just a typo :rolleyes: … + and = are the same key on most keyboards! :wink:

oh no wonder. thanks!

What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that the limit of the ratio of two functions, as they both approach a certain value, is equal to the limit of the ratio of their derivatives.

When is L'Hospital's Rule applicable?

L'Hospital's Rule can only be applied when the limit of the ratio of two functions results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for other types of limits.

What is the process for using L'Hospital's Rule?

To use L'Hospital's Rule, you must first rewrite the limit as a ratio of two functions. Then, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator. If the resulting ratio is still indeterminate, repeat the process until you obtain a finite value or determine that the limit does not exist.

What are the limitations of L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule can only be used for limits that result in indeterminate forms. It also cannot be used for limits involving trigonometric functions or logarithms. Additionally, the rule may not always work for more complex limits or in cases where the functions are not differentiable.

Can L'Hospital's Rule be used to solve all limits?

No, L'Hospital's Rule cannot be used to solve all limits. It is only applicable for limits involving indeterminate forms, and even then, it may not always work. Other methods, such as algebraic manipulation or series expansions, may be necessary to solve certain limits.