What is best self-study Relativity Books?

In summary: You might also want to look into some graduate-level books, such as "The Mathematical Theory of Special Relativity" or "Einstein's Field Equations". What is your mathematical background? ideally, one would have undergraduate E&M and mechanics before tackling Hartle. At least math up through vector calculus and differential...after that, it becomes more physics-y. You might also want to look into some graduate-level books, such as "The Mathematical Theory of Special Relativity" or "Einstein's Field Equations".
totentanz
I thought I will post it in the books section,but I think I need the experts guidance,so what is/are the best self-study books...I am not so good in mathematics (Tensors...etc) just something to start with...thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
totentanz said:
I thought I will post it in the books section,but I think I need the experts guidance,so what is/are the best self-study books...I am not so good in mathematics (Tensors...etc) just something to start with...thanks in advance

Start with Einstein's own little book by Crown Publishers, called "Relativity, the Special & General Theory". Just read the portion on special relativity ... save the GR stuff until MUCH later. Read that SR part of the book VERY carefully. Then read it again, and maybe even a third time.

After you've FULLY digested that, if you want more, read Taylor & Wheeler's SPACETIME PHYSICS.

Mike Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot said:
Start with Einstein's own little book by Crown Publishers, called "Relativity, the Special & General Theory". Just read the portion on special relativity ... save the GR stuff until MUCH later. Read that SR part of the book VERY carefully. Then read it again, and maybe even a third time.

After you've FULLY digested that, if you want more, read Taylor & Wheeler's SPACETIME PHYSICS.

Mike Fontenot

If I were going to read Einstein, I'd go with "The meaning of relativity". At least, this was good for me. (Though I only skimmed the last section on his final unified field theory).

Thanks...but I am intersted on how relativity works,I mean how much will it takes to now the mathematics(it took Einstein from 1905 to 1914)...thanks

Are you interested in special relativity or general relativity? The latter requires much more mathematical sophistication than the former.

"Relativity Simply Explained"
by: Martin Gardner

jtbell said:
Are you interested in special relativity or general relativity? The latter requires much more mathematical sophistication than the former.

In the general of course,the special does not require alot,but the general is the real theory, I want to be able to understand (or maybe even find) the solutions to the field equation,like Schwazschield solution,and Gödel solution...how much time will it takes?and what are the tools(books)?

totentanz said:
In the general of course,the special does not require alot,but the general is the real theory, I want to be able to understand (or maybe even find) the solutions to the field equation,like Schwazschield solution,and Gödel solution...how much time will it takes?and what are the tools(books)?

I would start with https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805386629/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
totentanz said:
Iwill check it out,thanks...by the way your link is not working

Try searching on "relativity" in the "Science Book Discussion" forum.

Check out also "A traveler's guide to spacetime". Extremely clear on the basic concept of special relativity. On the physical foundation that lead Einstein to General Relativity from Newtonian gravity and mechanics through special relativity read: "Einstein's Theory of Relativity" by Born, also extremely clear on the basic concepts. Both inexpensive, the latter you can preview online for free and legally (I do not remember the site name, may be archive.org)

Don't forgert to complement it with a problem book, such as the white book, whose authors I forget.

White book??

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Don't forgert to complement it with a problem book, such as the white book, whose authors I forget.

The Problem Book in Relativity and Gravitation by Lightman and Price. It includes solutions to all problems.

what about the mathematics?what do you need to have before...I mean I see the field equation,I know the concept that the distribution of matter-energy effect the shape of space-time...but how much will effect for me this is the true science...thanks for everyone
who will or already offere his help

totentanz said:
what about the mathematics?what do you need to have before...I mean I see the field equation,I know the concept that the distribution of matter-energy effect the shape of space-time...but how much will effect for me this is the true science...thanks for everyone

What is your mathematical background?

totentanz said:

Ideally, one would have undergraduate E&M and mechanics before tackling Hartle. At least math up through vector calculus and differential equations.

If you have basic calculus knowledge (and maybe not even that), the book you are probably looking for is:

The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us
Dr. Louis Jagerman M.D.

As you may have noticed it is written by an M.D. and not a physicist. Don't let that throw you off, I've had a few professors recommend this book to me because it does explain relativity in a very clear way. They will go into calc, tensors, etc...but at a very very elementary level. What this boils down to is that book is a little more serious than just a laymen's intro to relativity but not as rigorous as more traditional relativity textbooks.

One professor has told me that more than one of his grad students has been able to gain clarity from this book that they just weren't getting from traditional textbooks. So the book does offer very real knowledge of relativity.

Jagerman's book seems very interesting from what I could read online at Amazon. I've ordered it.

1. What is the best self-study book for learning about Relativity?

The best self-study book for learning about Relativity will depend on your level of understanding and the specific aspects of Relativity you are interested in. Some popular options include "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll and "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly self-study books for Relativity?

Yes, there are several self-study books that cater to beginners in Relativity. Some recommended options include "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by Ray d'Inverno and "Relativity: A Very Short Introduction" by Russell Stannard.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to understand Relativity through self-study?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful in understanding Relativity, but it is not necessary to have a strong background in math. There are self-study books that explain the mathematical concepts in a simplified manner for non-mathematicians.

4. Can self-study books on Relativity also cover practical applications?

Yes, there are self-study books that not only cover the theoretical aspects of Relativity but also its practical applications. Some recommended options include "Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity" by Edwin Taylor and John Wheeler and "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein.

5. Are there any interactive self-study books or resources for learning about Relativity?

Yes, there are several interactive self-study books and resources available for learning about Relativity. Some options include online courses, interactive simulations, and virtual reality experiences. Some popular resources include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "General Relativity Simulator" by GRIPS.