Analogy between vectors and covectors

In summary: So it seems that there is no direct analogy between a congruence of functions and a function defining a covector at a point, as there is between a congruence of curves and a curve defining a vector at a point. In summary, a congruence of functions does not have a direct analogy to a function defining a covector at a point, as there is between a congruence of curves and a curve defining a vector at a point.
atyy
Science Advisor
P1: A curve defines a vector at point.
P2: A function defines a covector at a point.

F1a: A congruence of curves defines a vector field.
F1b:Every vector field corresponds to a congruence of curves.

Statements F1 are analogous to P1.

F2a: A "congruence of functions" defines a covector field?
F2b: Every covector field correspond to a "congruence of functions"?

What, if any, are the correct statements F2 that would be analogous to P2, just as F1 is analogous to P1?

Physics news on Phys.org
First you will have to explain what you mean by a "congurence of functions".

HallsofIvy said:
First you will have to explain what you mean by a "congurence of functions".

The question is whether there is anything that when put in place "congruence of functions" will yield a true statement.

If there is, great, then there is a statement F2 analogous to P2, like F1 is analogous to P1.

Otherwise, is there any reason why such an analogy doesn't exist?

I don't know if this counts as an analogy to you but for one, both vectors and covectors are vectors. And given a basis {v_1,...,v_n} of vectors, there is a natural basis {f_1,...,f_n} of covectors given by f_i(v_j)=1 if i=j and =0 otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covector

what is a congruence of curves? and how does it define a vector field? i.e. before finding a statement analogous to yours i need to understand your statement.

quasar987 said:
I don't know if this counts as an analogy to you but for one, both vectors and covectors are vectors. And given a basis {v_1,...,v_n} of vectors, there is a natural basis {f_1,...,f_n} of covectors given by f_i(v_j)=1 if i=j and =0 otherwise.

Yes, it's because of this interplay of vectors and covectors - ie. a vector is a covector to a covector, and a covector is a vector when the original vector is considered a covector - that I wanted to know if it extended beyond vector spaces.

If you consider a trajectory, then you can define a velocity at every point along the trajectory. However, a velocity is actually meaningless on its own, and you have to specify a reference, such as a velocity with respect to some scalar field(s). So in some sense, it is better to consider the velocity vector as an operator, which is what a vector is with respect to a covector anyway. The scalar field defines a reference frame, which defines a covector at each point of the trajectory. The covector defined by the reference scalar field acting on the velocity vector gives the speed.

So anyway - trajectories or curves define vectors, and scalar fields define covectors.

mathwonk said:
what is a congruence of curves? and how does it define a vector field? i.e. before finding a statement analogous to yours i need to understand your statement.

Instead of just having a vector at a point, we can have vectors at every point in space. Since a trajectory gives rise to vectors, we can think of a vector field as being formed by many trajectories, all laid side by side so that they cover the entire space. That is what I mean by a congruence of curves, and why a congruence of curves gives rise to a vector field.

From the point of view of vector spaces, covectors and vectors are completely analogous. However, going to trajectories and scalar fields there is no analogy, because a trajectory is a map from the real numbers into the space, and a function is a map from the space into the real numbers (though I guess coordinates are sometimes specified as maps from the real numbers into the space, but you need N of them). I just wanted to know which wins out - the vector space analogy, or the lack of analogy between functions into and functions from the real numbers.

(in a sense you have things sort of backwards, as a vector field is more elementary than a congruence of curves, which in fact is a solution of a diff.eq. given by the vector field.)

but anyway, the correct analogy with your definition of a congruence of curves is just a single function, which gives a covector field.

mathwonk said:
but anyway, the correct analogy with your definition of a congruence of curves is just a single function, which gives a covector field.

Thanks, yes, a scalar function defines a covector field - so F2a works with "congruence of functions" being just "scalar function".

But it seems that not every covector field can derived from a scalar function. So in F2b "congruence of functions" cannot be "scalar function". Is there anything that would work there?

not all differential equations have solutions. this is true for vector and covector fields.

mathwonk said:
not all differential equations have solutions. this is true for vector and covector fields.

Thanks mathwonk!

What is an analogy between vectors and covectors?

An analogy between vectors and covectors is a comparison between two mathematical objects that have similar properties and behaviors. In this case, vectors and covectors both belong to the mathematical concept of a vector space and share many common characteristics.

What are vectors and covectors?

Vectors and covectors are mathematical objects that represent quantities with both magnitude and direction. Vectors are typically denoted by an arrow and can be represented graphically, while covectors are typically denoted by a row or column of numbers and can be represented algebraically.

How are vectors and covectors related?

Vectors and covectors are closely related in a vector space. While vectors represent physical quantities such as displacement or force, covectors represent dual quantities, such as distance or work. Every vector has a corresponding covector and vice versa, making them two sides of the same coin.

What are the differences between vectors and covectors?

There are a few key differences between vectors and covectors. Vectors are typically used to represent physical quantities, while covectors represent dual quantities. Vectors are represented graphically, while covectors are represented algebraically. Additionally, vectors and covectors have different transformation rules under a change of coordinates.

How are vectors and covectors used in physics and engineering?

Vectors and covectors are used extensively in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities and their dual quantities. They are used in a variety of applications, such as calculating forces, velocities, and electric fields. They are also used in more advanced concepts, such as tensor calculus, to describe the behavior of physical systems.