Telephone Technology of a bygone era

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary: Yes, it does help with fault finding. :) In summary, Dave remembers working on Step by Step equipment in the 1960's and 1970's and recounts an amusing story about reversed voltages on a schematic.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi gang :)

This is not a question thread, rather something I just had to share.
I wonder how many ex- telephone technicians ( like myself) are out there that remember the old "step-by-step" exchanges ?

Here's an AT&T video on how those old systems worked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xZePwin92cI&feature=endscreen

During the 1980's I even had a couple of different model step by step units operating at home. They were PABX (Private Automatic Branch eXchange) units used in businesses. One was a 7 external line and 35 extension unit, the other a 5 line 20 extension unit

The town I lived in/near at that time had a telephone exchange that service some 10 to 12,000 customers. The techs would start cleaning the step by step gear in the racks at one end of the building and finish ~ 6 months later by which time it was time to start the process all over again.
The exchange went digitial in the early 1990's ... some new fangled NEC stuff ;)

As said earlier ... no questions ... just a thread for any discussion and reminiscing :)

cheers
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
This isn't one of those fancy switches.

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/92/CA482CE8BD64BA59DF2F25118C4.jpg

When I was a kid, the telephone company was my source of power.

Pair_of_Antique_Western_Electric_Blue_Bell.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We (contractors) won a contract to refurb the RADIO/IC spaces of several older Navy ships built in the late 1950's early 60's with several types of communications systems. One of the systems needing a total rebuild was a Strowger Switch phone switching system. I'd studied how they operated and been inside a few but never worked on one but luckily we had a guy who worked on them as a IC Electrician while in the Navy. This gear had been on the ship for 20+ years and was completely coated with old lube grease and nicotine from smoking causing it to malfunction. The first thing we did after clearing out all the trash from inside was to give it a good low-pressure neutral soap wash (resulting in a foul green-black foaming stream) followed by a rinse of DI wafer. After a complete re-lube, relay/contact alignment (Lots of special tools) and a few wiring repairs the units worked like new.

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/cscie129/nu_lectures/lecture11/switching/strowger/strowger.html
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=10538&Itemid=2

Nice one Don :)

I had a 50 line manual board like that, at home in my museum for a few years ... never got a chance to get it up and running tho.
When i was a kid and my dad a postie in that same town commented on before, they were still manual. Cant remember when they went to automatic... maybe late 60's

Hey nsaspook

thanks for popping in... it was your post to the AT&T wave video, in that other thread, that got me looking at a couple of others like the one I posted above

And again you have found a couple more excellent links ... brings back a lot of fond memories :)

Dave

Am reminded of another technology that made a brief appearance in New Zealand back in the 1970's ... I personally never worked on these but I remember the distinct sound they made as they were operating...

The Western Electric Cross-bar Switch ... here's a pic of just one switchbank...

attachment.php?attachmentid=56282&stc=1&d=1362262835.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Telephone Crossbar-mini-hy2 switch.jpg
    Telephone Crossbar-mini-hy2 switch.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 585
Oh My Gosh - i used to work on those rotary switches.
Toward middle of the 1960's we got some miniature ones made in Norway... with small bottles of whale oil lubricant... smelled to high heaven !

I worked as a tech for Western Electric on Step by Step equipment around 1971. The work was testing and fixing complex relay circuits that depended on some contacts opening or closing before others. A large part of the work was adjusting the contacts to open and close in the right sequence.

Once when troubleshooting a circuit, all of the voltages I measured were wrong. Finally I discovered the V+ and V- voltages were reversed. I called the design engineer over and he admitted the schematic had the polarities reversed. The date on the schematic indicated it was 22 years old.

skeptic2 said:
...Once when troubleshooting a circuit, all of the voltages I measured were wrong. Finally I discovered the V+ and V- voltages were reversed. I called the design engineer over and he admitted the schematic had the polarities reversed. The date on the schematic indicated it was 22 years old.

Ohh dear haha,

doesnt help with fault finding huh

Dave

Related to Telephone Technology of a bygone era

1. How did people communicate before cell phones?

Before cell phones, people used landline telephones to communicate with each other. These phones were connected to a physical network of wires and required users to be in a specific location to make or receive calls.

2. What were some common features of old telephones?

Old telephones often had a rotary dial or push buttons to input numbers, a receiver for listening to the other person, and a microphone for speaking. They also had cords that connected the handset to the base of the phone.

3. How were long-distance calls made in the past?

In the past, long-distance calls were made by using a service called "operator-assisted calling." This involved dialing 0 to connect with an operator who would then manually connect the call to the desired location.

4. Were there any privacy concerns with old telephone technology?

Privacy concerns did exist with old telephone technology. Since calls were connected through a physical network, it was possible for someone to listen in on conversations if they tapped into the phone line. This led to the invention of phone encryption and other security measures.

5. How has telephone technology evolved over time?

Telephone technology has evolved significantly over time. From the first invention of the telephone by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876 to the widespread use of cell phones today, there have been many advancements in terms of design, functionality, and capabilities. These include the introduction of cordless phones, caller ID, voicemail, and the integration of smartphones with internet and data services.