Static vs Kinetic Friction in Rotating Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the technique used by railroad operators to reduce the force needed to start a moving train by first moving it backwards. The participants question whether this technique is effective and whether kinetic friction is at play when a round object, such as a wheel or ball, is rolling. They also mention the role of bearing friction in this scenario. Overall, the conversation explores the physics behind starting a train and the various factors that contribute to the amount of force needed.
reiternick
I don't know if you guys have heard that, when a railroad car is about to start moving, railroad operators sometimes have the train go backwards a little bit at first, that way when they move forward the force of the engine car only has to overcome the Static friction of one cart at a time, as opposed to starting from rest and having to overcome the static friction of all carts at the same time (which would be harder than using the trick mentioned above, since coefficient of static friction is always greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction for any 2 surfaces).

Yet, when I was thinking about this technique, I wondered why it would make any difference at all. Is kinetic friction coming into play at all? The wheels are not being dragged along the rails, they are rolling. With respect to the metal surface of the rail, the wheel is not moving. So why would this make a difference if the railroad operators do their nice trick as mentioned above?

In other words, when anything round is rolling, is kinetic friction at work or is it solely static friction since the rolling object isn't sliding.

Thanks for your help.

-Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are referring to bearing friction in the axle assemblies.

And I don't get why pushing back first is any different from pulling first. Oh, wait, if there is play in the couplings, then you want to start in the direction that uses the play to isolate each car start. Seems like if the train stopped under braking, though, the cars would all be pushed forward, so the couplings would click one at a time if you just started forward... ?

Backing up would increase the play in the couplings. Regarding braking, generally the brakes for the cars brake about the same, so the play in couplings after braking would be somewhat random. With a diesel eletric locomotive, the electric engines connected to the driven wheels can generate huge amounts of torque at 0 rpm (without overheating). Older technology locomotives spun the driven wheels in order to start up.

Am I at least right in saying that for any kind of wheel or ball, there is only static friction at play since nothing is being dragged across another surface?

reiternick said:
Am I at least right in saying that for any kind of wheel or ball, there is only static friction at play since nothing is being dragged across another surface?

What about bearing friction in the wheel case?

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in rotating systems?

Static friction is the resistance force between two surfaces that are in contact with each other but not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the resistance force between two surfaces that are sliding or moving relative to each other.

2. How does static friction affect rotating systems?

Static friction can prevent or limit the motion of a rotating system by providing the necessary resistance force to keep the system in place. This is important in maintaining stability and preventing the system from slipping or sliding out of control.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction in rotating systems?

The amount of static friction in rotating systems is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the coefficient of static friction, which is a measure of how much the surfaces resist sliding against each other.

4. How does kinetic friction affect the speed of rotation in a system?

Kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the rotating system, so it can slow down the speed of rotation. This is because as the surfaces slide against each other, energy is converted into heat, causing a decrease in the system's kinetic energy.

5. Can kinetic friction be eliminated in rotating systems?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate kinetic friction in any system. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing materials with lower coefficients of kinetic friction. Additionally, the effects of kinetic friction can be minimized by properly maintaining and lubricating the rotating system.