For all kinds of engineers out there

• Engineering
  • Thread starter 62caster
  • Start date
In summary: What tips would you have for someone who is just starting out in a career? Thank you for your time. This will answer a lot of questions for me and hopefully others out there looking at what a career in engineering can offer right after graduation up until retirement.
62caster
Hello from North Carolina! This is my first post, but I've been researching the forum topics for awhile to try and put together exactly what I wanted to ask about.

I thought it might be helpful to hear from some engineers from any field and any level of profession (entry level, mid career, retired, and all in between!) who can provide some practical advice for choosing the right career path, how to gain employment, and other personal experiences in the field of engineering. Here are some questions to get started, but feel free to share any experience or advice for prospective engineers, or university students like myself.

1. What year did you graduate?
2. What was your degree in?
3. How long did it take you to find a job after graduation?
4. Did you intern in college?
5. Were (or are you now) you satisfied with your employment?
6. Any tips for networking?
7. Other advice?

I think this will answer a lot of questions for me and hopefully others out there looking at what a career in engineering can offer right after graduation up until retirement.

Physics news on Phys.org
62caster said:
Hello from North Carolina! This is my first post, but I've been researching the forum topics for awhile to try and put together exactly what I wanted to ask about.

I thought it might be helpful to hear from some engineers from any field and any level of profession (entry level, mid career, retired, and all in between!) who can provide some practical advice for choosing the right career path, how to gain employment, and other personal experiences in the field of engineering. Here are some questions to get started, but feel free to share any experience or advice for prospective engineers, or university students like myself.

1. What year did you graduate?
2. What was your degree in?
3. How long did it take you to find a job after graduation?
4. Did you intern in college?
5. Were (or are you now) you satisfied with your employment?
6. Any tips for networking?
7. Other advice?

I think this will answer a lot of questions for me and hopefully others out there looking at what a career in engineering can offer right after graduation up until retirement.

1. 1972,1974,1978

2. EE,EE, mathematics

3. I found a job before graduation.

4. No. But summer jobs were quite available

5. Yes. A couple of times

6. Do what comes naturally.

7. Study something that interests you.

Thanks for the response! How did you enjoy your first job? was it what you wanted, or did you have to work your way up to your "dream job"?

FAQ: For all kinds of engineers out there

1. What are the different types of engineers?

There are many different types of engineers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and aerospace engineers. Each type specializes in a specific field and has unique job responsibilities.

2. What skills are important for engineers to have?

Some important skills for engineers to have include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, and technical knowledge. Engineers also need to be detail-oriented and have good time management skills.

3. What is the job outlook for engineers?

The job outlook for engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is about as fast as the average for all occupations. Demand for engineers will vary by discipline and industry.

4. What is the education requirement for becoming an engineer?

Most engineering jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering. Some positions may also require a master's degree or a Professional Engineer (PE) license. It is important to research the specific education requirements for your desired engineering field.

5. What is the role of engineers in society?

Engineers play a critical role in society by designing, creating, and improving systems and structures that benefit people and the environment. They are responsible for solving complex problems and making advancements in technology, transportation, construction, and more.