Calculating the pH of Gastric Juice from a Frog

• Thread starter jena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary: So if there is 10mL of gastric juice and 7.2mL of NaOH needed to neutralize it, then the pH of the juice would be approximately 1.73.
jena
Hi,

My Question:

Upon evisceration, it was discovered that the frog had died due to acid ingestion. 10mL of gastric juice was found in its stomach required 7.2mL of 0.1 M NaOh for neutralization. Calculate the pH of its gastric juice.

I'm confused, how would I approach this problem.

Thank You:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
jena said:
Hi,

My Question:

Upon evisceration, it was discovered that the frog had died due to acid ingestion. 10mL of gastric juice was found in its stomach required 7.2mL of 0.1 M NaOh for neutralization. Calculate the pH of its gastric juice.

I'm confused, how would I approach this problem.

Well first you might want to find the pH of the NaOH solution. Also, what have you tried?

Alex

So it would be like this

poH=log[H]
poh=-log[0.1]
poH=1

and

ph+poH=14
ph+1=14
ph=13

Is this correct:confused:

thank you

jena said:
So it would be like this

poH=log[H]
poh=-log[0.1]
poH=1

and

ph+poH=14
ph+1=14
ph=13

Is this correct:confused:

thank you
That looks good for the pH of the NaOH solution. Now, you want to find the pH of the gastric acid. Do you know how to do so from here?

Alex

No:cry: , I still don't know what to do. Also what do I do with the mL's

No need for pOH.

Calculate from simple stoichiometry amount of HCl in the gastric juice, then its concentration - once you know concentration of HCl pH calculation should be a breeze.

Sorry to reply so late, so I would first find the concentration like so,

M1V1=M2V2

and then use the concentration to find the pH of the acid using this equation

ph=-log(H+)

Is that the correct method?

Thank You

Show what you did as your answer about using M1V1=M2V2 is ambiguous.

Wouldn't it help if you knew the formula of the gastric juice?

P-man - gastric juice contains mostly HCl.

Oh, sorry. I guess that's the stuff in your stomach?

1. How do I collect gastric juice from a frog?

To collect gastric juice from a frog, you will need to carefully anesthetize the frog and insert a small tube or pipette into its mouth and down its esophagus. Gentle pressure can be applied to the frog's abdomen to stimulate the release of gastric juice.

2. What equipment do I need to measure the pH of gastric juice?

You will need a pH meter or pH strips, a beaker or test tube to hold the gastric juice, and a dropper or pipette to add the gastric juice to the pH testing solution.

3. What is the pH of gastric juice in a frog?

The pH of gastric juice in a frog is typically around 2.5 to 3.5. This acidic pH is necessary for the breakdown of food and protection against harmful bacteria.

4. How do I calculate the pH of gastric juice from a frog?

To calculate the pH of gastric juice from a frog, you will need to measure the amount of gastric juice and add it to a known amount of water. Then, use your pH meter or pH strips to measure the pH of the solution and adjust for dilution to determine the pH of the original gastric juice.

5. What factors can affect the pH of gastric juice in a frog?

The pH of gastric juice in a frog can be affected by the type and amount of food consumed, the age and health of the frog, and any medications or supplements the frog is taking. Environmental factors such as temperature and stress levels can also impact the pH of gastric juice in a frog.