Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that states if a function is continuous and has non-zero derivatives at its roots, then there exists an interval around the roots where there are no other roots and the function changes sign. It also mentions a more general theorem about differentiable functions and provides a proof for the result mentioned. This proof involves using the definition of the derivative and the inverse function theorem.
dimitri151
I think this is a theorem, and I'm telling myself that I've proved it. Just a shout out for any possible counter-examples:
If a function f(x) is continuous on some interval and has non-zero derivatives at its root(s) (where f(x')=0 ) then there is some interval around the roots where there are no other roots, and f(x)><0 for x><x' as f'(x')><0.

It just says a function crossing the x-axis comes from below and goes above or comes from above and goes below when the derivative at the point is not zero. Any counter-examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a more general theorem that can be proven:

If ##f## is differentiable at ##a## and ##f'(a)\neq 0##, then there is an open interval ##I## with ##a\in I## such that for all ##x\in I\setminus\{a\}##, ##f(x)\neq f(a)##.

Likes 1 person
Here's a simple proof for the result mentioned by gopher_p.

Suppose that ##f'(a) \neq 0##. By definition, this means that
$$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h) - f(a)}{h} = f'(a) \neq 0$$
Therefore if we set ##\epsilon = |f'(a)|/2## then there is a ##\delta > 0## such that
$$\left|\frac{f(a+h) - f(a)}{h}\right| > \frac{|f'(a)|}{2} > 0$$
for all ##h## satisfying ##0 < |h| < \delta##. Therefore, for all such ##h##, we have
$$|f(a+h) - f(a)| > |h|\frac{|f'(a)|}{2} > 0$$
and as a result, ##f(a+h) \neq f(a)## for all ##h \in (-\delta, \delta) \setminus \{0\}##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
if you don't mind the heavy machinery; using a tank to kill a fly and f' is continuous, just use the inverse function theorem.

FAQ: Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis

What is the Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis?

The Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis states that if a function is continuous on an interval [a,b] and f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs, then there exists at least one value c in the interval where f(c) = 0.

Why is the Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis important?

This theorem is important because it provides a way to determine the existence of roots or solutions to a function. It also helps in graphing and analyzing functions.

Can the Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis be applied to all functions?

No, the theorem only applies to continuous functions. A continuous function is one that does not have any breaks or jumps in its graph. Discontinuous functions, such as step functions, do not follow this theorem.

How is the Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis proven?

The theorem can be proven using the Intermediate Value Theorem, which states that a continuous function that takes on two values, a and b, will also take on any value in between a and b. By applying this to the function f(x) and using the fact that f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs, we can show that there must be a value c between a and b where f(c) = 0.

Can the Theorem on continuous function crossing x-axis be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the theorem can be generalized to higher dimensions using the concept of continuity and the Intermediate Value Theorem. In higher dimensions, the theorem states that if a continuous function goes from one point to another, then it must pass through all the points in between as well.

Back