Max Space Velocity: Reach Limit?

In summary, a spacecraft needs a force to accelerate it and the closer you get to the speed of light the smaller the force you need. The mass of the spacecraft affects the force needed to accelerate it.
mpekatsoula
Ok.. first of all excuse my English (not my native).

I had a conversation with a friend and we were thinking.. We have a spacecraft or something like that. Let's tell that it has a lot of fuel and we are moving with a = x m/s^2, where a is acceleration and x a value (we don't care how big or small). What is the MAX velocity that we will go with? Theoretically v-->c (no abrasion with something wright?), but obviously that's not possible. What is going to make our spacecraft move with a max velocity and what's that value?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The max theoretical velocity you can obtain is very close to c, the closer you get to c the larger force you will need to obtain your acceleration. Let's say that you want to maintain constant your acceleration to x m/s^2 then the real problem is that (not taking in account any feasibility of it)
a = F/M where F is the force applied and M is your mass
but the faster you go the larger is your mass that means that the faster you go the larger the force you need to apply to your spacecraft to accelerate.
What will happen, considering that you have engine powerful enough, is that the closer you get to c the smaller your acceleration will be (going to the limit at 0)
Regarding what is going to make your spacecraft moving, that depends on the engine you have.
You can have normal thrust, but probably they will fail to accelerate you beyond a certain point, you can have ion thrusters or any other propulsion system you can imagine. There are many type of hypothetical engine that go from ion thrusters (see on wikipedia how they work) I suggest you to give a look to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_propulsion

Thanks AGADOTTI! obvious i can tell but i couldn't think that this was the reason! thanks for the link also

What is Max Space Velocity?

Max Space Velocity refers to the maximum speed at which an object can travel in space. It is determined by various factors such as the object's mass, propulsion system, and the gravitational pull of nearby objects.

Why is it important to reach Max Space Velocity?

Reaching Max Space Velocity is important for space exploration and travel. It allows spacecrafts to cover large distances in a shorter amount of time, reducing the travel time for astronauts and increasing the efficiency of missions.

What is the limit of Max Space Velocity?

The limit of Max Space Velocity is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light.

How is Max Space Velocity achieved?

Max Space Velocity is achieved through the use of propulsion systems such as rockets or ion thrusters. These systems generate thrust to propel the spacecraft forward, gradually increasing its speed until it reaches its maximum velocity.

What are the potential dangers of reaching Max Space Velocity?

Reaching Max Space Velocity can pose several dangers, including increased exposure to cosmic radiation and collisions with space debris. It also requires precise calculations and control to ensure the safety of the spacecraft and its crew.