What the heck is this paragraph saying?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of symmetry in mathematical expressions and equations. It explains how interchanging variable letters or performing transformations can result in symmetrical relationships. Knowing symmetry can help in simplifying and solving equations, as well as identifying patterns and relationships between variables.
Miike012
What the heck is this paragraph saying?

Attachments

• sym.jpg
    sym.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org

In the first example, x + y + z, it's saying that if you swap, say, x and z, you get an different expression that has the same value.

IOW, x + y + z = z + y + x

In the second, bc + ca + ab, you can swap, say b for c, to get a new expression with the same value.
IOW, bc + ca + ab = cb + ba + ca.

bc = cb due to commutivity of multiplication, and ab = ba for the same reason. There's also some commutivity of addition going on, as ca + ab = ab + ca.

so its not talking about x, y, and origin symmetry?

No, its is not. It is talking about interchanging the letter variables themselves:
3x+ 3y is "symmetric" in this sense but x+ 2y is not.

HallsofIvy said:
No, its is not. It is talking about interchanging the letter variables themselves:
3x+ 3y is "symmetric" in this sense but x+ 2y is not.

and x+ 2y is not symmetric because the x and y coefficients are not equal?

The type of symmetry being discussed here reminds me of binomial expansions.

[itex](x+y)^{4}=x^{4}+4x^{3}y+6x^{2}y^{2}+4xy^{3}+y^{4}[/itex]

Notice that the coefficients aren't the only cause of symmetry!

what do they mean by "symmetry?" what will knowing symmetry of an expression help me with?

Miike012 said:
what do they mean by "symmetry?"

If you can perform some type of transformation to an expression or equation (without murdering it!), then there is a relational symmetry. In other words, the output of a function does not vary when the arrangement of any or all of the variables within the function are changed.

I'm an amateur, though, so I'm sure HoI or Mark can put it more succinctly or correct anything I've said that is ambiguous, imprecise, or simply incorrect. :redface:

Miike012 said:
what will knowing symmetry of an expression help me with?

You will encounter situations where things can be assumed or proven because of symmetrical relationships, and it will often save you a lot of work!

This video might be helpful to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylAXYqgbp4M

1. What does this paragraph mean?

This question is asking for a general understanding of the main idea or message of the paragraph. The answer would involve summarizing the key points and explaining the overall purpose or significance of the paragraph.

2. What is the main argument or thesis of this paragraph?

This question is specifically looking for the main idea or claim that the paragraph is making. The answer would involve identifying the central argument and supporting evidence presented in the paragraph.

3. What evidence or examples are used to support the point in this paragraph?

This question is asking for specific details or examples that are used to support the main idea or argument in the paragraph. The answer would involve identifying and explaining the evidence or examples presented in the paragraph.

4. What is the structure or organization of this paragraph?

This question is asking for an analysis of how the paragraph is organized or structured. The answer would involve identifying the topic sentence, supporting details, and concluding sentence of the paragraph.

5. How does this paragraph relate to the overall topic or subject?

This question is looking for a connection between the paragraph and the larger topic or subject being discussed. The answer would involve explaining how the paragraph contributes to the understanding of the topic or how it fits into the overall argument or discussion.