Does Temperature affect the coeffecient of friction?

In summary, The temperature of the road surface affects the friction between the tire and road surface.
JBeans
I have a Question, and I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a definite answer:
Does The temperature of the road surface affect the friction between the tire and road surface?

Science news on Phys.org
Sure, Is not this why the dragsters spin their tires before a race?

Yes, but that makes the rubber softer, doesn't it. See I'm trying to figure out if the road surface's temperature has anything to do with the friction between it and the tires. So are you saying that anything when is heated, the coeffecient of friction increases?

hotter road surface will mean hotter therefore softer tires. Friction requires 2 materials, how do you separate the effects?

Suppose the tires hadnt been on the road as yet, and The temperature of the road gets to 130 degrees (F). Now if the tires were to come into contact now with the road, would the coeffecient of friction be different than that if the road was 50 degrees? I'm just saying before the tires had time to soften.

the teason temp affects friction is a 'microscopic' one. When you increase the temperature of most common solids (ie. rubber, pavement) The solids expand, creationg greater 'gorges' or bough bumps on the surface, causing more friction. If it is cold outside, there microscopic 'gorges' attract, and the surface begins to lose friction.

Thanks that helps.. so one more question, would there be any difference in friction in a temperature change, say from 40 degrees fahrenheit to 140?

Nenad said:
the teason temp affects friction is a 'microscopic' one. When you increase the temperature of most common solids (ie. rubber, pavement) The solids expand, creationg greater 'gorges' or bough bumps on the surface, causing more friction. If it is cold outside, there microscopic 'gorges' attract, and the surface begins to lose friction.

That makes sense, but I thought that hot brake pads have less friction because they are expanded from normal.

JBeans said:
Thanks that helps.. so one more question, would there be any difference in friction in a temperature change, say from 40 degrees fahrenheit to 140?

There are a lot of factors involved. For example, at 40 degrees the water vapor in the atmosphere would condense slightly on the pavement, making the road much more slippery and low in friction. Depending on the day, the water might mix with settled dust on the road, making a small layer of "mud" (I don't think you would see it very well), and in this case you would have "hydroplaining" going on, which is very bad because it causes there to be very little friction. When it gets hot to 140, then the pavement would expand and I guess increase in friction, at least that's what would make sense.

ArmoSkater87 said:
That makes sense, but I thought that hot brake pads have less friction because they are expanded from normal.

Hot brake pads have less friction mostly due to a layer of gas that is created when the pads vaporize. This thin layer of gas acts as a lubricator. Most performance disc's have holes or slots cut through them to release the gas and help cool the disk.

JBeans said:
Suppose the tires hadnt been on the road as yet, and The temperature of the road gets to 130 degrees (F). Now if the tires were to come into contact now with the road, would the coeffecient of friction be different than that if the road was 50 degrees? I'm just saying before the tires had time to soften.
Asphalt also softens with temperature... Though, cement does not.

So, the answer to your initial question is: depends on the material.

And then there's viscous friction...

1. How does temperature affect the coefficient of friction?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the coefficient of friction. As temperature increases, the coefficient of friction typically decreases. This is due to the fact that higher temperatures can cause materials to expand, making their surfaces smoother and reducing the amount of friction between them. Additionally, some materials may undergo chemical changes at higher temperatures, altering their surface properties and affecting friction.

2. Is there a specific temperature at which the coefficient of friction is affected?

The specific temperature at which the coefficient of friction is affected can vary depending on the materials involved. In general, the coefficient of friction tends to decrease as temperature increases, but the exact temperature at which this occurs can be different for different materials. It is important to conduct experiments or research to determine the temperature range in which a particular material's coefficient of friction is affected.

3. Can temperature changes affect the direction of the coefficient of friction?

Yes, temperature changes can affect the direction of the coefficient of friction. In some cases, an increase in temperature may cause the coefficient of friction to decrease, resulting in less resistance and a smoother sliding motion. However, in other cases, an increase in temperature may cause the coefficient of friction to increase, resulting in more resistance and a stickier sliding motion. This can depend on factors such as the materials involved and the specific temperature range being considered.

4. How does humidity affect the relationship between temperature and the coefficient of friction?

Humidity can also play a role in the relationship between temperature and the coefficient of friction. Higher levels of humidity can cause materials to become more slippery, even at lower temperatures. This can result in a decrease in the coefficient of friction, even if the temperature remains constant. Additionally, humidity can also affect the chemical properties of materials at different temperatures, further influencing the coefficient of friction.

5. Can temperature changes have a permanent effect on the coefficient of friction?

In some cases, temperature changes can have a permanent effect on the coefficient of friction. For example, if a material undergoes changes in its physical or chemical properties at higher temperatures, this can permanently alter its coefficient of friction. Additionally, repeated changes in temperature can also have a cumulative effect on the coefficient of friction, causing it to change over time. This is why it is important to carefully consider the effects of temperature on the coefficient of friction in any given situation.