Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture quantities

In summary, the speaker needs help with creating an emergency plan for a college assignment on European Seveso directives. The case study involves 17t of Hydrogen and 8t of Fluorine, which are both below the threshold limits for a lower tier Seveso site. However, when combined, they may exceed the upper threshold of 20t due to the creation of hydrogen fluoride. The question is how much hydrogen fluoride would be created with these amounts of hydrogen and fluorine, with fluorine being the limiting factor. According to mfb, it would create 8.4 tons of HF.
Rudi Rose
Hi,

I am not a chemist but maybe there is somebody who can help me.
I need a put together an emergency plan as part of a college law assignment on European Seveso directives.
My case study has 17t of Hydrogen and 8t of Fluorine.
Both of which combine satisfy the requirement for a lower tier Seveso site.
8 (Quantity)/10 (treshold limit of fluorine) + 17/5 (treshold limit of hydrogen)...greater than 1 @4.2 makes it a lower tier site.
However if combined they create hydrogen fluoride which may push them over the upper threshold of 20t.
So my question how much hyrdrogen fluorine would be created with 17t of hydrogen ane 8t of fluorine.

Thanks

R

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluorine would be the limiting factor, with 19u/atom it catches a maximum of 1/19 of its mass as hydrogen to form 20/19*8t = 8.4 tons of HF.

Thanks mfb

1. What is Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture?

Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture is a combination of hydrogen fluoride gas and other gases, typically used in industrial processes such as metal pickling and semiconductor manufacturing.

2. How is Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture measured?

Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture is typically measured in parts per million (ppm) or percent by volume (% vol). It can also be measured by weight or moles.

3. What are the safety precautions for handling Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture?

Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture is highly corrosive and toxic. It should only be handled by trained professionals wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as a full-face respirator and chemical-resistant gloves.

4. What is the potential health impact of exposure to Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture?

Inhalation of Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture can cause severe irritation to the respiratory system, including coughing, difficulty breathing, and lung damage. Skin contact can cause burns and eye contact can result in severe eye damage.

5. What are the environmental concerns surrounding Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture?

Hydrogen Fluoride gas mixture can have harmful effects on the environment if released into the air or water. It can contribute to acid rain and can harm aquatic life. Proper containment and disposal measures should be taken to prevent environmental contamination.

Back