A low temperature flame that melts carbon?

In summary, this is a hoax that tries to use the placebo effect to convince people that they can run their car on water.
edward
A low temperature flame that melts carbon??

I saw this on television the other day. I have no idea how it works. It sound promising but so have a lot of other things in the past. There is a clickable news video in the link.

Also known as Green Gas, Hydroxy, Di-Hydroxy, Watergas

Electrolytic process converts water into a burnable gas. Atomic hydrogen and oxygen thought to be main cause of unique properties. Invented by William A. Rhodes (living), with additional pioneer work done by Yull Brown (deceased), followed by George Wiseman who's group is one entity presently manufacturing and marketing the technology.
http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/RhodesGas/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I understand this process has been sensationalized. What they don't tell you regards some kind of phosphate caustic that is needed for the reaction according to a chemist I heard discuss this today. He seemed to shrug it off as if it were a no starter technology. I suspect he's correct unfortunately, there's no free lunch, and with all the secretism regarding this I suspect that's what they're hiding.

Explosively cracked pottery! (pun intended)

"This machine separates hydrogen and oxygen from water and mixes them back together stoichiometrically in a new way. Water is HOH, Browns Gas is HHO. You can weld with HHO. It is a pure gas (water)."
Properties and Applications
# Neutralizes radioactive waste...
# Gas speeds healing of wounds...
# Helps plants germinate...
# Muscle relaxing (as demonstrated by a Spokane Chiropractor)...

Ha! Another obnoxiously idiotic scam being thrown around the internet by shameless crackpots. Boo! Hiss!

Q_Goest said:
I understand this process has been sensationalized. What they don't tell you regards some kind of phosphate caustic that is needed for the reaction according to a chemist I heard discuss this today. He seemed to shrug it off as if it were a no starter technology. I suspect he's correct unfortunately, there's no free lunch, and with all the secretism regarding this I suspect that's what they're hiding.

I think you're thinking about a different psuedoscience, involving getting "free energy" from electrolysis/recombustion of water? This is a different scam here.

That car that runs on water is basically running on electricity.

My understand is that it's better because you don't have to replace the expensive battery every so often like in an electric. However I assume there are other expensive maintenance issues and drawbacks to this car that runs on water.

dav2008 said:
That car that runs on water...

What?...

It doesn't run on water, it runs on hydrogen. From everything I have seen, this is rewrapped electrolysis. I had not seen anything on the aspect that Q pointed out. In any event, I can not see how the process is very efficient. They have shown this guy's interview on our local news for the past three days.

Just did a bit of research on this - just enough to be dangerous. Apparantly they add KOH (postasium hydroxide) to water to increase the conductivity. This is just an electrolysis of water, nothing particularly interesting. It seems to be on the order of 35% efficient in producing hydrogen from water (not very good).

This must be evaluated from known properties of an example that
varies with each electrolyzer which in turn have variables within
themselves. Of course the end result will always be the amount
of energy produced vs heating effect due to electrolysis cell
resistance. Since my original "Water Welder" has an efficiency
in the region of 35% the remainder is 65% heat. While this
suggests additional Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) could be added,
Increasing it beyond its present content, 27% to 29%, the peak of
KOH electrolysis activity, goes over the curve and swiftly turns
downward. (KOH 27% is preferred because it allows water
replacement without going over the curve.)

This means there would not be enough water to support maximum
electrolysis. Gas production and cell temperature would
decrease. If we chose to super-saturate with KOH, eventually, a
point would be reached where not enough water ions are present,
cell current & gas production would be zero and cell temperature
ambient.

So KOH is presently the most efficient of all other chemicals.
Ref: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/academy/papers/Common_Duct_Electrolytic_OxyHydrogen/index.html

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3333992194168790800&q=water+bike

A load of rubbish.

Rach3 said:
Explosively cracked pottery! (pun intended)
Yes, this is a pretty weak - pathetic, even - but common hoax.

Sorry, I had a tough week at work and didn't notice this thread before someone reported it...

1. What is a low temperature flame?

A low temperature flame is a type of flame that burns at a relatively low temperature compared to other types of flames. It is typically produced by a fuel that burns slowly and does not produce a large amount of heat.

2. How does a low temperature flame melt carbon?

A low temperature flame can melt carbon by breaking down the chemical bonds within the carbon molecules. This process, known as pyrolysis, causes the carbon to lose its solid state and turn into a liquid or gas.

3. What are the potential applications of a low temperature flame that melts carbon?

A low temperature flame that melts carbon has a variety of potential applications, including in the production of synthetic materials, in industrial processes such as welding and cutting, and in scientific research for studying the properties of different materials.

4. How is a low temperature flame created?

A low temperature flame is typically created by using a fuel that burns at a lower temperature, such as propane or butane. The flame can also be controlled by adjusting the amount of oxygen present in the combustion process.

5. Is a low temperature flame safe to use?

A low temperature flame can be safe to use as long as proper precautions and safety measures are taken. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and use appropriate protective equipment when working with any type of flame, including a low temperature one.

Back