Second order Autonomous Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation posted on a forum and various methods for solving it are suggested. The equation is d^2R/dt^2=W^2*R where R is radial position, W is angular velocity, and t is time. It is identified as an autonomous differential equation and the method of quadrature is suggested for solving it. Other methods are also mentioned, such as assuming R = e^kt, and the importance of using the right tool for problem-solving is emphasized.
roamer
Hi All,
I have a differntial equation that I came up with on a little engineering problem posted here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=129247 that I can't solve. It is d^2R/dt^2=W^2*R where R is radial position and W is angular velocity and t is time. I think it is an autonomous diff eq. but don't know, its been a while since math class. Any ideas?? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
W is a constant?

if so we can solve it relatively easy.

Introduce v = dR/dt. Then the differential equation is
v dv/dR = W^2 R.

Integrating once gives
v^2 - v0^2 = W^2 R^2 - W^2 R0^2
Where i have assumed v(t=0) = v0 and R(t=0) = R0.

a quick arrangement
v = +/- sqrt( v0^2 - W^2 R0^2 + W^2 R^2 )

and thus dR/dt = +/- sqrt( v0^2 - W^2 R0^2 + W^2 R^2 )

This is a seperable first order ODE

define a such that W^2 a^2 = v0^2 - W^2 R0^2

Then
dR/dt = +/- sqrt(W^2 a^2 + W^2 R^2)

dR/sqrt(a^2 + R^2) = +/- W dt

The right hand side is +/- Wt.
To integrate the left hand side Put R = a*sinh(x) so that
dR = a cosh(x) dx then
sqrt( a^2 + R^2 ) = sqrt(a^2 + a^2 sinh^2(x)) = a sqrt(1 + sinh(x)^2)
= a sqrt(cosh^2(x)) = a*cosh(x).

This dR/sqrt(a^2 + R^2) -> dx
The integral is thus

arcsinh(R/a) - arcsinh(R0 / a) = +/- Wt
and therefore

R = a sinh( +/- Wt + arcsinh(R0 / a))
and a = sqrt(V0^2/W^2 - R0^2).

Plugging this in and checking shows us that the
- sign gives the v(0) = - v0

Therefore

R = a sinh( Wt + arcsinh(R0 / a))

Last edited:
just shows to go you, when your tool is a hammer...
i was thinking about the trick v =dR/dt so that was the
first way i did this problem.

ergh! the easier (more standard way) assume
R = e^kt then the differential equation gives
k^2 = W^2 so that

R = A exp(Wt) + B exp(-Wt)

introducing the initial values you get the same
answer as above but easier.

qbert,
Thanks for the answers. I know exactly what you mean about going about problems with the wrong tool, still it is at least good to know you can grind out answers in more than one way even if your first choice isn't the easiest.

"autonomous" equations are those in which the independent variable does not appear explicitly. Second order autonomous equations are those of the form [itex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= f(y,y')[/itex] and, as qbert said, letting v= y' is a standard method (its' called "quadrature"). If v= y', then
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dy}[/tex]
so that the second order equation reduces to a first order equation
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dy}= f(y,v)[/itex]. After you have solved for v, integrate to find y.

What is a second order autonomous differential equation?

A second order autonomous differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. The equation does not depend on an independent variable, making it autonomous. It is often written as y'' = f(y, y').

What is the difference between a first and second order autonomous differential equation?

The main difference between a first and second order autonomous differential equation is the number of derivatives involved. A first order equation only involves the first derivative, while a second order equation involves both the first and second derivatives. In addition, a second order equation is autonomous, meaning it does not depend on an independent variable.

What is the general solution to a second order autonomous differential equation?

The general solution to a second order autonomous differential equation is often written as y(x) = C1e^(λ1x) + C2e^(λ2x), where C1 and C2 are constants and λ1 and λ2 are the solutions to the characteristic equation. These solutions can be real or complex, and the values of the constants can be determined by initial conditions.

How do you solve a second order autonomous differential equation?

To solve a second order autonomous differential equation, you can follow these steps:

1. Find the characteristic equation by setting the equation equal to zero and factoring out y''.
  2. Solve for the roots of the characteristic equation to find the values of λ1 and λ2.
  3. Write the general solution using the values of λ1 and λ2.
  4. Substitute the initial conditions into the general solution to find the values of the constants C1 and C2.
  5. Plug in the values of C1 and C2 to get the specific solution to the equation.

What are some real-world applications of second order autonomous differential equations?

Second order autonomous differential equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the growth of populations. They are also used in control systems to predict and regulate the behavior of systems such as airplanes and robots.