Are 6 AA Batteries Justified for 2 LED Lights on a Toy Helicopter?

• Thread starter brainstorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the toy has two LED lights that are powered by six AA batteries. The toy is meant for indoor use and is lightweight. I don't think it has a radio transmitter, but I can't be sure.
brainstorm
I recently bought a toy with a remote control. The remote control consists of 2 LED lights and is powered by SIX AA batteries. Am I being naive to think that 6 AA batteries is overkill for powering 2 LED lights? The toy itself is a propellor-driven helicopter that only weighs a few ounces and runs on 2 AAs. Is there any rationality in this other than supporting AA battery sales?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Presumably, the remote control also includes a transmitter...

russ_watters said:
Presumably, the remote control also includes a transmitter...

I assumed the LEDs meant it was like a TV remote control, not a radio transmitter. Do you think it would have both?

Well yeah... an LED won't fly the mini helecopter, so it needs a transmitter (and it'll have a frequency written on it somewhere). The reason you you so many batteries is the voltage output, radio transmitters are typically 9V.

If you got 1 9volt battery that would do the trick, wouldn't last too long though. From that I suppose you could argue that it's keeping AA in sales. Just get rechargables.

xxChrisxx said:
Well yeah... an LED won't fly the mini helecopter, so it needs a transmitter (and it'll have a frequency written on it somewhere). The reason you you so many batteries is the voltage output, radio transmitters are typically 9V.

If you got 1 9volt battery that would do the trick, wouldn't last too long though. From that I suppose you could argue that it's keeping AA in sales. Just get rechargables.

This is a very simple helicopter that just goes up and down. It's meant for indoor use. I think the LEDs are just infrareds that flash codes to an "eye" on the helicopter. I have other LED flashlights that run on 2 AAs. I'm not 100% sure it doesn't have a radio transmitter but I don't see the point. Why wouldn't a TV-type infrared LED remote be sufficient?

Post a link to a similar type of helicopter please, without knowing what it is it's impossble to say. The pure fact it's 9V suggests a transmitter.

Although there are two very very easy ways to test this.

1.) Does the LED light up?
2.) Try using the helicopter with the 'remote' not in line of sight or anything that IR can bounce off.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
Post a link to a similar type of helicopter please, without knowing what it is it's impossble to say. The pure fact it's 9V suggests a transmitter.

Although there are two very very easy ways to test this.

1.) Does the LED light up?
2.) Try using the helicopter with the 'remote' not in line of sight or anything that IR can bounce off.

Well, I haven't tried the thing out yet because I'm afraid of causing a global shortage of batteries if I do:)

Actually, I went and actually read the package (imagine that) and it says "infrared control," but the reason it has so many batteries, it seems, is that the helicopter re-charges from the remote control. Sorry I didn't realize and say this earlier. It invalidates this entire thread actually.

Apparently this toy is engineered quite cleverly to minimize vehicle weight. Praise to the engineers!

You read the product's specifications?! Blasphemy! :rofl:

Mech_Engineer said:
You read the product's specifications?! Blasphemy! :rofl:

I know. I cheated. I should have just kept staring at the device and pondering the magic of it all.

What is rationality in engineering?

Rationality in engineering refers to the use of logical and systematic thinking in problem-solving and decision-making processes. It involves considering all available information and evidence, evaluating potential solutions, and selecting the most efficient and effective approach to achieve a desired outcome.

Why is rationality important in engineering?

Rationality is important in engineering because it helps ensure that decisions and actions are based on sound reasoning and evidence, rather than personal biases or emotions. By using rationality, engineers can minimize risks and maximize the success of projects, leading to more efficient and effective solutions.

What are some examples of rational decision-making in engineering?

Examples of rational decision-making in engineering include considering various design options and their potential impacts, analyzing data and experimental results to inform design choices, and using cost-benefit analysis to determine the most cost-effective solution.

How does rationality differ from creativity in engineering?

Rationality and creativity are both important in engineering, but they serve different purposes. Rationality involves using logic and evidence to make informed decisions, while creativity involves generating new and innovative ideas. Both are necessary for successful engineering projects, as rationality ensures practicality and feasibility, while creativity drives innovation and progress.

Can rationality be taught or learned in engineering?

Yes, rationality can be taught and learned in engineering. By developing critical thinking skills, learning to analyze and evaluate information, and practicing logical reasoning, engineers can improve their rationality and decision-making abilities. Additionally, exposure to real-world engineering problems and case studies can help engineers develop their rationality in practical settings.