Register to reply

MSME- smart move or total blunder?

Share this thread:
DErazorGuy
Jun27-12, 02:53 PM
P: 1
You've probably heard this sob story before, but please try to sympathize with my plight. I graduated over 3 years ago (May 2009) with a BSME from a lesser known but still ABET accredited university. After about a year of job searching, a half dozen interviews, and no job offers I decided that I had to find something so I began working at Walmart. Now after two years of it I'm at the end of my rope. I realized I've gotten way to complacent with my situation. I'm not happy. I'm wasting time, I want a change, etc. So I applied and have been accepted to the MSME program of a more well known university. But I am torn as to whether or not this is a smart move. The prospect of student loan debt scares me (I'm not in debt right now), and I don't know if there's any real value in a Master's Degree. I would rather just gain knowledge and experience from actually working in the industry. Too keep it short, I guess I have many questions and few answers. Is Mechanical Engineering a dead profession in this country (U.S.A.)? If not, is it worth the time and money to pursue an advanced degree. If it is, should I consider a related career like a draftsman/CNC programmer? I'm sorry to bombard you with these questions, but any feedback based on your experience would be helpful to me.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history

Register to reply