Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know...

In summary, our department has bulletin boards for each faculty member; I'm looking for ideas on what to put on mine. The idea is for each member to advertise themselves to the (undergraduate) student body- not just majors, but any student that wanders by. My wife came up with a 'Did You Know...' section, where I could post (weekly/monthly) interesting factoids that can be read quickly (as they walk by) and are comprehensible at the high school level. I think this is a great idea, and my archetypical post will be a lot like Sylas's "entropy of evolution" post- broad relevance, easy to grasp, can be summarized in a sentence or two
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
"Did You Know..."

Our department has bulletin boards for each faculty member; I'm looking for ideas on what to put on mine. The idea is for each member to advertise themselves to the (undergraduate) student body- not just majors, but any student that wanders by.

My wife came up with a 'Did You Know...' section, where I could post (weekly/monthly) interesting factoids that can be read quickly (as they walk by) and are comprehensible at the high school level. I think this is a great idea, and my archetypical post will be a lot like Sylas's "entropy of evolution" post- broad relevance, easy to grasp, can be summarized in a sentence or two, and I can also attach the relevant journal article.

I'll also have a "Pic o' the week" (since I do a lot of imaging), copies of my recent papers, and needed items related to the course I'm teaching.

So, my questions to the group are (1) any other ideas on good bulletin board material, and (2) any good sources of physics factoids I can scan through?

Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org

Try to post anything a little simpler that this(from your website):

My research activity has two main tracks: the role of sensory cilia in cellular mechanosensation and optical probes of matter. Experimental tools we use include epithelial cell culture and electrophysiology, microscopy and laser tweezers, microfluidics and analytical modeling. Biological systems under investigation include renal and airway epithelial tissue
:zzz:

In all seriousness, there are a LOT to post such as:
1. puzzles
2.comics(about your field)
3. Applications of your research.
4. Pictures Grad students(if any) and/or the department
6. A picture of Morgan Freeman.(Try to convince all the profs in your department to post a different picture of him, it would be funny)
7. http://www.sciensational.com/physics.html

Greg's PF leaflet?

1. What is "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..."?

"Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..." is a series of presentations or articles that aim to share lesser-known or surprising facts about a particular topic.

2. Why is it important to uncover interesting facts?

Uncovering interesting facts can broaden our knowledge and understanding of a topic, challenge our assumptions, and spark curiosity and creativity.

3. How are the facts in "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..." verified?

The facts presented in "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..." are thoroughly researched and verified through reputable sources such as scientific studies, books, and credible websites.

4. Who can benefit from "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..."?

Anyone with an interest in learning new things can benefit from "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know...". It can be especially useful for students, educators, and individuals looking to expand their knowledge on a specific topic.

5. Can I suggest a topic for "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..."?

Yes, you can suggest a topic for "Uncovering Interesting Facts: Did You Know..."! The series is always looking for new and interesting topics to explore. You can reach out to the creators through their website or social media channels to share your ideas.