What is the purpose of the normal equation of the plane?

In summary, the normal equation of a plane is used to describe a plane in terms of a point and a normal vector. This equation can be used to check if a given point lies on the plane or to produce an infinite number of points on the plane. Another way to describe a plane is through the cartesian equation ax + by + cz = d, which can be obtained from the normal equation. This description of a plane is more visual and easier to understand than the cartesian equation.
Alshia
Let r and a each be a position vector of a point on a plane. Let n be the normal to the plane.

The normal equation of the plane would be:

n.(r-a) = 0
r.n = a.n

My question is, the equation doesn't really 'describe' a plane...so what's the purpose?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alshia,

If you know that a plane passes through a certain point x, and if you know the normal direction to the plane at x, then certainly you know how to describe the plane: it is all the points y such that the vector going from x to y is perpendicular to the normal.

That's the situation in words. In math language now, to know the normal direction means to know a normal vector n. And the vector going from x to y is y-x. And for two vectors to be perpendicular means their dot product is 0. So what we said in words above is that the plane P is described by P = {y in R³ | (y-x).n=0 }

there are two kinds of equations, one kind let's you recognize whether a point someone brings up belongs to the plane or not, and the other kimnd let's you produce as many points that are on the plane as you want.the normal equation is type one. given any point you plug it into the equation and if you get ero, then that point was a point of the plane.

a parametrization of form (s,t)--->(p + sv + tw) give you as many points on the plane passing through p nd parallel to the independent vectors v and w as you want.

i.e. any two numbers s and t will produce another point on that plane.

i.e. there are two kinds of equations "implicit" and "explicit". the implicit kind only gives a way to check whether candidate points are or are not on the plane. explicit ones give a way to produce as many points as desired that are on the plane.

@quasar987:

Hmm, that description certainly isn't very visual, unlike the description of a vector or a straight line. But I guess it's acceptable.

@mathwonk:

So for example, the linear equation would be Type 1 and Type 2? What about the quadratic equation?

This description of a plane is certainly the most visual and understandable one. It is just me who failed to convey to you the image I have of it in my mind. But you can watch this guy talk about it and draw pictures for 13 minutes:

Last edited by a moderator:
@quasar987:

OK, so is the premise like this?:

If n.(r-a)=0, then there exist a plane on which r and a lies.
Why is the cartesian equation of a plane ax + by + cz = d? Does this require some kind of advanced math to prove? I'm asking this because the book uses the normal equation to show that that's cartesian equation, but in the video the cartesian equation is given first. I prefer the video's sequence though.

Last edited:
No, that is not the premise. In fact, given any two points r and a in space, there are infinitely many planes on which both lie.

No advanced math is required to see that a plane can also be described by an equation of the form ax + by + cz = d, but it certainly is not obvious to me.

Much more understandable is the description in terms of a point and a normal vector.

Look, the basic thing to realize is this. Take a pen in your fingers and hold it before you. If I tell you that there is a plane passing through the point at the base of the pen and which is perpendicular to the pen, can you tell me where that plane is? Experiment with your free hand playing the role of the plane and realize that there is only one way to position your hand (representing a plane) at the base of the pen, so that it make an angle of 90° with the pen.

This shows that to specify a plane in space, it is sufficient to specify
a) a point lying on it, and
b) a line (or vector) perpendicular to it

Another way to think about it: if I gave you 3 points that lie in a plane (and are not collinear), do you believe that you could then uniquely determine the plane? How about if I gave you two (non-parallel) lines that line in the plane?

If you believe that either of those descriptions uniquely determines the plane, it's not too hard to get to the description via a normal vector and one point. Given two non-parallel lines that lie in the plane, their point of intersection will give you a point a lying in the plane and taking the cross product of their direction vectors will give you a normal vector n.

Alshia said:
@quasar987:

OK, so is the premise like this?:

If n.(r-a)=0, then there exist a plane on which r and a lies.

Why is the cartesian equation of a plane ax + by + cz = d? Does this require some kind of advanced math to prove? I'm asking this because the book uses the normal equation to show that that's cartesian equation, but in the video the cartesian equation is given first. I prefer the video's sequence though.

Let your normal vector be (a,b,c), r be (x,y,z), d= -n.a . The cartesian falls into your lap.

What is the normal equation of the plane?

The normal equation of the plane is a mathematical representation of a plane in 3-dimensional space. It is used to determine the distance of a point from the plane and to find the equation of the plane passing through a given point with a given normal vector.

Why is the normal equation of the plane important?

The normal equation of the plane is important because it allows us to calculate the shortest distance between a point and a plane, and also to find the equation of the plane itself. This is useful in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

How is the normal equation of the plane derived?

The normal equation of the plane is derived using vector algebra and the dot product. The normal vector of the plane is perpendicular to the plane, and by taking the dot product of this normal vector with the position vector of a point on the plane, we can obtain the equation of the plane.

What is the difference between the normal equation of the plane and the general equation of the plane?

The normal equation of the plane is a specific form of the general equation of the plane. The general equation of the plane is in the form of ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and d is a constant. The normal equation of the plane is in the form of ax + by + cz = d, where d is the distance of the plane from the origin.

Can the normal equation of the plane be used for any type of plane?

Yes, the normal equation of the plane can be used for any type of plane in 3-dimensional space. It is a general and versatile equation that can be applied to planes of various orientations and positions.