How to calculate the fourier transform of a gaussion?

In summary, Jo is asking for help in calculating the integral \int_0^{\infty}e^{-a t^2}\cos(2xt)dt using the formula \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}e^{\frac{-x^2}{a}} and is seeking clarification and guidance from others. Rubi suggests using the formula \cos(x) = \frac{1}{2}(e^{\mathrm i x} + e^{-\mathrm i x}) and completing the squares to perform a contour integral. Jo mentions trying to use a complex contour integral but getting stuck, and Rubi suggests using the completion of the square and direct integration. After some discussion, Jo realizes their
jollage
Hi all,

I want to calculate [itex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-a t^2}\cos(2xt)dt=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}e^{\frac{-x^2}{a}}[/itex]. The answer is known from the literature, but I don't know how to do it step by step. Any one has a clue? Thanks.

Jo

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [itex]\cos(x) = \frac{1}{2}(e^{\mathrm i x} + e^{-\mathrm i x})[/itex], then complete the squares and perform a countour integral.

Hi rubi,

Thank you. Yes, the problem is actually starting in the form of [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-a t^2}e^{-i2\pi x t}dt=?[/itex], which is the Fourier transform of a gaussian. I actually tried using complex contour integral, but I was stuck there. Could you be more specific? I guess I don't some tricks...

Thank you

Jo

Use the completion of the square and do a direct integration.
at2+i2πxt =a(t +iπx/a)2+(πx)2/a. Calculate the t integral.

mathman said:
Use the completion of the square and do a direct integration.
at2+i2πxt =a(t +iπx/a)2+(πx)2/a. Calculate the t integral.

O, I see. Yes, I was not careful. Thank you both.

Jo

1. What is the formula for calculating the Fourier transform of a Gaussian?

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian function is given by the formula: F(k) = e-k2/2, where k is the frequency variable.

2. How do I calculate the Fourier transform of a Gaussian in practice?

To calculate the Fourier transform of a Gaussian in practice, you can use a mathematical software like MATLAB or Python. First, define the Gaussian function as a function of frequency k. Then, use the built-in function for calculating the Fourier transform, such as fft in MATLAB or scipy.fft in Python.

3. Can the Fourier transform of a Gaussian be calculated analytically?

Yes, the Fourier transform of a Gaussian can be calculated analytically using the formula mentioned above. However, in practice, numerical methods are often used for more complex functions.

4. What is the significance of calculating the Fourier transform of a Gaussian?

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian is widely used in signal processing, image processing, and other fields of science and engineering. It is used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, which can reveal important information about the function, such as its frequency components and their amplitudes.

5. Are there any applications of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian in real-world problems?

Yes, the Fourier transform of a Gaussian has various applications in real-world problems. For example, it is used in audio and image compression, noise filtering, and pattern recognition. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the wave function of a free particle.