Question concerning defining the general equation of a conic from 5-points

• Thread starter CyJackX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the equation of a conic section using 5 points and the confusion about defining the F variable. It is explained that F is not a unique parameter and can be divided by any number to get the same equation for the conic. The conversation then goes on to discuss finding the length, width, position, and orientation of an ellipse using eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix representing the quadratic part of the general equation for a conic section.
CyJackX

Homework Statement

I understand that the general equation of a conic is:
ca5d856e1fbe0fdf05d99def75d82005.png

And I know that I can use 5 points to determine the unique conic that passes through these points.

What I don't understand, however, is this site's explanation of the process:
http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/zenosamples/zs_conic_eqn_5points.html"

The reason being is that, under the header of "Fitting a Conic Section Through Five Points,"
they declare that there is one and only one conic that may fit through these five points. However, they have to define the F variable before they solve the matrix. This seems contradictory to me. Why do they have to define F in order to pick a unique conic? Wouldn't F be defined already?

My overarching problem, however, is merely to find an ellipse based on a number of points. It is for a program that will predict the orbit of a controllable-planet by using past positions. Is there an easier way to find the length, width, position, and orientation of an ellipse?

Wolfram-Alpha's page on ellipses is very helpful in giving me a way to find those values if I have all the variables in the general equation, but is there an easier way?

Homework Equations

Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CyJackX said:

Homework Statement

I understand that the general equation of a conic is:
ca5d856e1fbe0fdf05d99def75d82005.png

And I know that I can use 5 points to determine the unique conic that passes through these points.

What I don't understand, however, is this site's explanation of the process:
http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/zenosamples/zs_conic_eqn_5points.html"

The reason being is that, under the header of "Fitting a Conic Section Through Five Points,"
they declare that there is one and only one conic that may fit through these five points. However, they have to define the F variable before they solve the matrix. This seems contradictory to me. Why do they have to define F in order to pick a unique conic? Wouldn't F be defined already?
No. Note that there are 6 constants in the general formula:A, B, C, D, E, and F. But we only need 5 points because they are not independent. In particular, [itex]F= -(Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2+ Dx+ Ey)[/itex]. Or, more simply, you can divide through by any number and get a formula for the same conic section with different coefficients. In particular, if you divide through by F you get [itex]A'x^3+ B'xy+ C'y^2+ D'x+ E'y+ 1= 0[/itex] where A', B', C', D', and E' are A, B, C, D, and E, each divided by F. "Choosing" F just determines which of many formulations for the same conic section we get.

My overarching problem, however, is merely to find an ellipse based on a number of points. It is for a program that will predict the orbit of a controllable-planet by using past positions. Is there an easier way to find the length, width, position, and orientation of an ellipse?

Wolfram-Alpha's page on ellipses is very helpful in giving me a way to find those values if I have all the variables in the general equation, but is there an easier way?
I won't say it is "easier" but all those things are determined by the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix giving the quadratic part of that:
[tex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2= \begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}A & \frac{1}{2}B \\ \frac{1}{2}B & C\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Question concerning defining the general equation of a conic from 5-points

1. What is a conic?

A conic is a geometric shape that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a double-napped cone.

2. What are the general equations for a conic?

The general equations for a conic are:
1. Circle: (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2
2. Ellipse: (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1
3. Hyperbola: (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1
4. Parabola: (x-h)^2 = 4p(y-k)

3. How do you define the general equation of a conic from 5 points?

To define the general equation of a conic from 5 points, you can use the method of cross-multiplication. This involves setting up a system of equations using the coordinates of the 5 points, and then solving for the coefficients of the general equation.

4. Can the general equation of a conic be used to determine the shape of a conic?

Yes, the coefficients in the general equation can reveal the shape of a conic. For example, if the coefficients for x^2 and y^2 are the same, the conic will be a circle. If they have opposite signs, the conic will be a hyperbola.

5. Is it possible to define a conic with less than 5 points?

No, it is not possible to define a conic with fewer than 5 points. This is because a conic is determined by the intersection of a plane and a double-napped cone, and 5 points are needed to determine the unique intersection of the two surfaces.